Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #461
Grantman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Man, I find both Arrogant Bastard and Green Flash West Coast IPA to both be balanced, yet extremely bitter. When I think of an unbalanced beer, I think of one that simply isn't brewed well - something wrong with the recipe. These may have a strong bitterness and lasts well through the finish, but I don't consider them unbalanced at all. Then again, I also find them delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #462
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post
Man, I find both Arrogant Bastard and Green Flash West Coast IPA to both be balanced, yet extremely bitter. When I think of an unbalanced beer, I think of one that simply isn't brewed well - something wrong with the recipe. These may have a strong bitterness and lasts well through the finish, but I don't consider them unbalanced at all. Then again, I also find them delicious.
I would say they are both very unbalanced. But they are very good. Balance isn't necessarily key for a delicious beer.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #463
VTDuffman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
I would say they are both very unbalanced. But they are very good. Balance isn't necessarily key for a delicious beer.
For me "balanced" is one of the most unhelpful descriptors for a beer. Not all beers are supposed to be "balanced." We have the whole concept of BU:GU for a reason.

Stouts aren't "balanced," they're just imbalanced in the other direction. I don't think IPAs are supposed to be "balanced."
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #464
newb
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDuffman

For me "balanced" is one of the most unhelpful descriptors for a beer. Not all beers are supposed to be "balanced." We have the whole concept of BU:GU for a reason.

Stouts aren't "balanced," they're just imbalanced in the other direction. I don't think IPAs are supposed to be "balanced."
+1, I think SOME beer STYLES are definitely supposed to be well balanced, but some beers are supposed to be a hopsmack in the face, and then some beers are supposed to be sweet and creamy. does not make them any less good to a person who enjoys that particular taste it leans more towards. Besides if I somehow balanced out something with a **** ton of Ibu's what the hell was point I could have just used less bittering hops haha
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #465
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Coupla Indian beers, and I think I remember Peroni being pretty bad.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #466
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

New Belgian Grand Cru and Drakes Drakonic Imperial Stout. Thought both were horrible and the only two beers I've ever poured out.

Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #467
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Had a bottle of captain bastard oatmeal stout that was so horrid. Don't know if I got a bad bottle or something but ya know when you smell something and then taste something akin to it. This smell/tasted like an ash tray. Not to mention it was thin and watery on top of that. Also not a fan of these "pumpkin" beers that are pretty much just budweiser with a boatload of pumpkin pie spice added. bleh.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #468
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I worked at Starr Hill for about 7 months. The Lucy is a summer ale brewed with lime and coriander. its syrupy and tastes and feels like cough syrup. One day I saw the brewers adding the lime and coriander extract and it was a thick, goopy, bright orange syrup that I could smell from the other side of the brewer. Can't imagine that beer ever being a refreshing summer ale. If anything it made me really thirsty for water.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #469
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think there are so many factors. A person's taste, a bad batch, a skunked beer, so many factors beyond "a good recipe". The first time I had a Old Speckled Hen I loved the hops flavor and the right amount of hops aroma for me. Then the last 2 bottles I had were completely devoid of hops anything. They was bland and somewhat malty only. I don't know what happened.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #470
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

HA, Ill clairfy:
For starters, Ill agree that the term of a "balanced beer" is highly subjective in terms of whether a beer is objectively good or bad

both Arrogant Bastard and Green Flash are far more hoped than they are sweet, so Id subjectivly call them unbalanced beers

Of course that just me
I prefer my beers to be more sweet than bitter, or at the very least, have a good maltyness to counter the bitterness. thats what I look for in a beer.

To be fair, thats a terribly objective marker for whether or not a beer is godo or bad, which more or less can only be measured in the brewing process...and as far as I can tell the brewing process is good for both beers

I could detect nothing wrong with them that is objectively bad, except for the part that I found them both very, very undrinkable because they made me gag from bitterness.

But to me, neither of those beers have anything to counter balance the hoppyness, which a lot of you people will say makes a beer great, but to me I enjoy a beer from its malt, and to me both beers seem terrible.

but I can accept that they are not terribly beer. I just find them terrible, and think that styles like IPA's can have both a good malty sweetness and depth WITH a good hoppy profile and makes a overall better beer. that's just my opinion however

I can recognize that if you aren't interested in having any particualry strong tastes from the malt, that those brews are perfectly fine beers if your looking for a heavily hoped brew and nothing decent on the malt side.

long story shot, their find if you like them, but if your me, they are not
I'm biased like everyone else and take pride in it

I shall conclude with a better response to this thread, all bias aside:

I still stand by my previous statement that the detroit brewing company alt is remarkably bad, and is the worst beer to claim to be "craft". I would also like to add that most beers from Abita, Rogue, and magic hat all suck (particualry, I hate Purple Haze, Magic hat 9, and rogue dead guy, all considered to be craft and most of their typical offerings are very unimpressive/overrated)

Quick Reply