Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #421
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_osbourn View Post
Dont remember the name but tried a Grape Fruit Wheat one time at Old Chicago....worst ever
yeah, not the worst beers but highly disappointing are a lot of light but serious attempts at fruit beers. i never even try them anymore after having a very disappointing raspberry beer from southern tier and a peach-wheat from macauslan. both those breweries are awesome otherwise but i almost never go for a clean profile fruit-centric beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #422
Dechegash
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion
So just to be fair since I had not drank a voodoo in many years and back then was guzzling large amounts of Old English 800, spiced rum etc all day long I thought I would give it a good go and went and bought a Dixie Blackened Voodoo . I am drinking it now . I must say it is quite tasty . Not bitter as I remembered . A strong chocolate coffee taste . A bit on the sweet side . Nice of hop flavor .

I think when I try my AG D.B.V. I might add in a more bitter hop .

I will be testing also a Samuel Adams Chocolate bock and a Murphy's red ale . If they taste horrible I will post the results
Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is amazing!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #423
VTDuffman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I just had the worst one in recent memory the other night...

Saranac Red IPA.

It's "Red" and that's about it, there's no bitterness, hop flavor, or aroma. It's just a sweet, estery mess. Seriously, my reaction was "this tastes like a bad homebrew" - you know, like the second extract kit you ever buy "Red Ale" where you underpitch non-rehydrated dry yeast in your 80 degree closet?

That's what Saranac Red IPA Tastes like.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #424
Zarusse2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
I've had great beers at all the Raleigh area breweries so I didn't think twice about buying tickets to a wing festival at Roth Brewing a few weeks ago. The wings were okay but the beers, and I tried 3, were awful.

Their cinnamon porter had overwhelming hot fusels that gave the beer a cinnamon rubbing alcohol taste. The Raleigh Red, an amber, was bland and watery with zero hop flavor and aroma. The honey hefeweizen was drinkable but crystal clear with no hefeweizen characteristics.

I felt bad for all the hipsters drinking these beers and trying to act like the beers were great.
The Roth Foehammer is pretty good I thought. Everything else by them is pretty terrible especially when there is a ton of craft brews made in the Raleigh area that are great.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #425
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Two beers on my list:

First was a beer called Coastal Fog Pale Ale. I bought a sixer at Bevmo several years ago. I was really new to homebrewing at the time and wasn't familiar with off flavors and their causes. Anyway, cracked open one and took a big drink. It tasted like a bag of buttered popcorn. I had no idea what was going on. It wasn't the most offensive thing in the world...I drank all six of them over the course of a month or so. I wasn't sure if that was the flavor they were trying for, because I didn't know any better. Regardless, I never bought anything from them again.

The second one was only a couple of years ago. I had recently discovered Flemish reds/Oud Bruins and was smitten. I was trying every brand I could get my hands on. I found a bottle at (again) Bevmo from Hermitage Brewing, called "1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale". It was $2.99 for a bomber, which even back then I knew was suspect. I figured I would try it. I figured, if it was even half-decent, I would at least have access to a cheap sour. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it was absolutely not a sour ale. Not even close. There wasn't even a note of tartness. Highly disappointing. I guess it may not have been a bad beer per se, but I don't remember. It's like someone handing you a root beer but telling you it's cherry coke. It might be a good root beer, but you're thrown for a loop after the first taste.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #426
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarusse2 View Post
The Roth Foehammer is pretty good I thought. Everything else by them is pretty terrible especially when there is a ton of craft brews made in the Raleigh area that are great.
agreed! Lonerider and Aviator are both excellent. Big Boss is not too bad, and
Fullsteam makes some really good brews. Raleigh is rapidly becoming a craft beer destination!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #427
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rogue dead guy ale at a Buffalo Wild Wings .. It was nearly flat and dull. I don't know if it was flat and stale but it sure tasted like it, and ill be damned if I ever order one again.

Since I've started home brewing and appreciate hops more even yeungling is tasteless(and overly mAlty) to me

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #428
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For some reason I really like SA Cherry Wheat. The worst Craft brew I have had in recent memory was Green Flash Rayon Vert. I thought it was absolutly terrible. Reminded me of barf... Straight up. Maybe its an acquired taste.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #429
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Just thought of one. There used to be a brewpub in Mobile (can't remember the name) and they used to have a seasonal "Satsumaweisse". It looked like Mt. Dew and tasted like it was brewed with a dirty dish rag. Absolutely vile. In case you're wondering, a satsuma is a species of mandarin orange. Very sweet and seedless. They're awesome by themselves, but NOT in beer!

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #430
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
Rogue dead guy ale at a Buffalo Wild Wings .. It was nearly flat and dull. I don't know if it was flat and stale but it sure tasted like it, and ill be damned if I ever order one again.

Since I've started home brewing and appreciate hops more even yeungling is tasteless(and overly mAlty) to me
Dead guy is pretty damn good in my opinion. Go somewhere that cleans their beer lines and has higher turnover.

Quick Reply