Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #381
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Don't be a troll. There is a definition for what is "craft", and anything owned by InBev is categorically disqualified.
Since when is the ABA the Merriam-Webster of beer terminology? I wasn't being a troll. I was contesting his point. This is just snobbery though. The brewery started out as craft, but now it's owned by AB-InBev. Do the beers produced at the Chicago-based location still get called craft?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #382
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbt View Post
Fortunately, that has been done already by the groups that define these things in this country: the US Government and the Brewer's Association.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined

Drink it if you like it. It won't bother me when we finally get distribution of BCBS down here, and I like English ales, so I'll definitely give Honker's a shot.
I'd like to see where the US Government defines "craft beer," or "craft brewery." As far as I know, the ABA isn't a government entity.

Micro, sure. Brewpub, sure. Craft, where?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #383
danielbt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Do the beers produced at the Chicago-based location still get called craft?
Nope. Again, you seem to equate "craft" with "stuff I like to drink". That's fine, as "craft" as pertains to beer is a pretty arbitrary term to begin with. However, it's a commonly used phrase with a commonly understood meaning, that GI's stuff, no matter which brewery it's brewed at, doesn't qualify for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
I'd like to see where the US Government defines "craft beer," or "craft brewery." As far as I know, the ABA isn't a government entity.

Micro, sure. Brewpub, sure. Craft, where?
The US Gov doesn't define micro either. They do, however, define Small Brewers. AB InBev and their wholly owned brands, like Goose Island, whose workforce are all AB InBev employees, do not qualify.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #384
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas
I wasn't being a troll.
You're being needlessly argumentative, to the appearance of solely for arguments sake. You just did the same thing about the candi syrup. It really isn't worth getting so worked up about these things, and it especially isn't worth making a scene on an Internet forum. If you think something is craft, then it's craft. If you like your homemade candi syrup, great. More power to you. Cheers!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #385
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbt View Post
However, it's a commonly used phrase with a commonly understood meaning, that GI's stuff, no matter which brewery it's brewed at, doesn't qualify for.

The US Gov doesn't define micro either. They do, however, define Small Brewers. AB InBev and their wholly owned brands, like Goose Island, whose workforce are all AB InBev employees, do not qualify.
actually, goose island's brewpubs are still wholly owned by goose island chicago...they are still brewing in the brewpubs

not that it would fall under the 'craft' designation, necessarily, but their barrel/sour program is still under control of GI's fulton st brewery in chicago...those are some beers AB would never be able to reproduce!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #386
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oh, and enough off topic...worst i've had in recent memory is post road pumpkin ale...watery and pretty tasteless for a pumpkin.

and never been fond of english base malts...maybe it's just me, but i get a strong metallic taste from them.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #387
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Lighten up or risk having this thread closed. The name calling and belligerence is not acceptable.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"
People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #388
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have to admit I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen this one mentioned. Anything and everything from Highland Brewing in Asheville, NC. I've never had anything good from them. There is a special place in the hate center of my brain for their Kashmir IPA. I don't know where they get off calling that beer an IPA. I've had it in the bottle and out of a tap. No hop character at all, barely any bitterness. Just terrible.

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently
In Design: Saison de Erin

Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #389
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't recall ever drinking a good pumpkin beer. I've had a few different ones when I lived up in Michigan, but I can't remember any of their names. They would taste great for the first sip or 2, but then the taste either becomes overpowering for my liking or too sweet. Maybe I just haven't tried the right one yet...

Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #390
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_Jacker
I don't recall ever drinking a good pumpkin beer. I've had a few different ones when I lived up in Michigan, but I can't remember any of their names. They would taste great for the first sip or 2, but then the taste either becomes overpowering for my liking or too sweet. Maybe I just haven't tried the right one yet...
You might just not like them.. I know I don't. I've really tried, and I just don't dig either the pumpkin or those spices in a beer. Which is weird, because I love pumpkin pie.

Quick Reply