New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #231
Trokair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Flying Dog Raging Bitch are both terrible. Both of them are like coating your tounge with baking soda mixed with lemon juice. Just aweful.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #232
DisturbdChemist
It's Beermans World!
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1234 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 531

I just came back form GABF and had some great brews and one not so great. I was visiting oskar blues brewery which i admit i'm not a fan of their beers. I love sours and brought back some awesome sours. I saw on the menu that they have a soured ten fidy. I had a few soured stouts before and loved them but this one was horrible. To me it was a little soapy/an off flavor i cant put my fingers on and i could barely sip down the 4oz taster. That beer was horrible.

I do not have a drinking problem. Unless I'm out of beer...

"Alcohol is very, very bad for... children. Once you turn 21, alcohol becomes very very good" - Leela (futurama)

Untappd: BiggTexx

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #233
rs4life
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trokair
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Flying Dog Raging Bitch are both terrible. Both of them are like coating your tounge with baking soda mixed with lemon juice. Just aweful.
I dont think you had the same SNPA as other people, it doesnt taste like that at all
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #234
RCBIV
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm not sure this is the worst commercial craft brew I've had, but I had Roscoe's Hop House IPA a couple weeks ago and couldn't finish it. Had to put it down the drain.

Thankfully, I bought it as a single.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #235
Whattawort

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Sweetwater Blue. Hells no.

Bottled - JAOM, 2013 Holiday Ale
Kegged - Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting - Midnight Mild

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
- Bill Owen

Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #236
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I thought these were pretty bad excuses for an IPA.

I'm sure some people like them, but I won't buy them again.
Also +1 on the Sweetwater Blue. Puke.

On Tap: Little River Brown Ale; Denny's Rye IPA Clone
Secondary:
Primary: Greenbriar Session IPA
On Deck: Mt Hood Kolsch, Appalachian Imperial IPA

Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #237
jwaldman11
Recipes 

I'll also add my voice to the Voodoo Maple Bacon. It tasted more like they mixed Guinness with rancid maple syrup, with bacon fat thrown in for good measure.

However, at least I was able to finish that one. I was at a beer tasting a few years ago and tried Cave Creek Chili Beer. I like spicy, but that was just so obnoxiously jalapeno-flavored. That's the first and only time that I've poured out a beer sample.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #238
stillbrewin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wow

I think I am a bit too old and spoiled for this thread. I live in St Paul and have Summit Brewing as my go to guys. Never had a bad Summit.

I have friends come over with 10-15 dollar bombers and they usually end up drinking my homebrew, and taking their leftover bombers home.

I was in the the beerstore not to long ago watching this cute 22 y/o buying some beer for a party she was going to. She was asking about the 15 dollar Voodoo Donuts, and the sales person was selling her on them. I just laughed to myself and walked out with my 12 dollar 12 pack of EPA, thinking what a waste of money.

If anyone doubts that the craft beer bubble is coming they should read this thread.

Worst beer ever, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Three sips, and I had hop poisoning. I like hoppy beers but my stomach got so sick on this that I had to stop drinking. Not just stop drinking this beer, but stop drinking for the night.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #239
Whattawort

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbrewin View Post
I think I am a bit too old and spoiled for this thread. I live in St Paul and have Summit Brewing as my go to guys. Never had a bad Summit.

I have friends come over with 10-15 dollar bombers and they usually end up drinking my homebrew, and taking their leftover bombers home.

I was in the the beerstore not to long ago watching this cute 22 y/o buying some beer for a party she was going to. She was asking about the 15 dollar Voodoo Donuts, and the sales person was selling her on them. I just laughed to myself and walked out with my 12 dollar 12 pack of EPA, thinking what a waste of money.

If anyone doubts that the craft beer bubble is coming they should read this thread.

Worst beer ever, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Three sips, and I had hop poisoning. I like hoppy beers but my stomach got so sick on this that I had to stop drinking. Not just stop drinking this beer, but stop drinking for the night.
Me thinks the right thing to do would have been to save the young maiden from her impending buyer's remorse.

Bottled - JAOM, 2013 Holiday Ale
Kegged - Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting - Midnight Mild

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
- Bill Owen

Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #240
Devin
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It is amazing the different tastes present. Some of the brews mentioned in this thread I think are very, very good.

For me, the only "craft brew" that I had to pour was actually one from one of my favorite breweries: Stone.

Their 16th Anniversary IPA was awful. I saw it on the shelf and was excited to see it, so I nabbed it without reading it. Then I find out that it is a lemon-infested vomit-inducer. I can't stand lemon in beer.

Quick Reply