Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #171
kylevester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigger64 View Post
Well, I've never dumped them, but I've certainly choked them down! I honestly don't see what the appeal is. I think some beers fall into that "I like it cause I'm supposed to like it" category. I don't fall for that.
That's where I've been. And since I live in Indiana and they don't come here anymore, I only miss the 60 minute and 90 minute IPAs. All the other stuff? Not so much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #172
jeffdill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe I'll be crucified for this, but am I the only one that didn't like 3 Floyds Dark Lord at all? I tried the 2012 version...just tasted super sweet and huge alcohol taste/burn. I can see how it would improve greatly with age, but damn.

Certainly not the WORST craft beer I've had, but easily the most disappointing.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #173
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdill View Post
Maybe I'll be crucified for this, but am I the only one that didn't like 3 Floyds Dark Lord at all? I tried the 2012 version...just tasted super sweet and huge alcohol taste/burn. I can see how it would improve greatly with age, but damn.

Certainly not the WORST craft beer I've had, but easily the most disappointing.
I've heard it's fully dependent on the year. I'm not sure why it changes so much year to year, but it apparently does.

I loved 2011, still got one bottle aging. It was chocolatey, a little sweet, a bit of coffee notes. Very good.

I opened a bottle of 2012 shortly after I got it and it was terrible, sickeningly, disgustingly sweet. I really hope it ages well.

Those are the only two I've had. At the 2012 DLD, I talked to a guy who lives up there and has been to every DLD. He hated 2011, thought it was sickeningly sweet. I don't recall him saying he hated any other years.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #174
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester

I've heard it's fully dependent on the year. I'm not sure why it changes so much year to year, but it apparently does.

I loved 2011, still got one bottle aging. It was chocolatey, a little sweet, a bit of coffee notes. Very good.

I opened a bottle of 2012 shortly after I got it and it was terrible, sickeningly, disgustingly sweet. I really hope it ages well.

Those are the only two I've had. At the 2012 DLD, I talked to a guy who lives up there and has been to every DLD. He hated 2011, thought it was sickeningly sweet. I don't recall him saying he hated any other years.
I had an 08 back in 10, it was really good, but I can see how they would be rough fresh.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #175
geim32
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Hands down the worst beer I every had was mamma Mia's pizza beer. It really tasted like pizza in the first sip and then after that tasted like throw up.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #176
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Bell's Java Stout. This beer gets very high ratings but I couldn't stand it. It tasted like old coffee to me. I love coffee and I love stout and I love some of Bell's other beers, but I had one of these in my fridge for like five years before I finally threw it out. Having said that, I may try it again in a mixed 6 pack or something since it's been a while. Maybe my tastes have changed since then.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #177
Tykees
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguitar
Bell's Java Stout. This beer gets very high ratings but I couldn't stand it. It tasted like old coffee to me. I love coffee and I love stout and I love some of Bell's other beers, but I had one of these in my fridge for like five years before I finally threw it out. Having said that, I may try it again in a mixed 6 pack or something since it's been a while. Maybe my tastes have changed since then.
Ive had it.fresh and not.fresh. There is a huge difference. Absolutely.huge
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #178
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykees View Post
Ive had it.fresh and not.fresh. There is a huge difference. Absolutely.huge

Ah, good to know! Thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #179
geneb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Founder's Backwoods Bastard. If I wanted a big glass of watered down bourbon, I would have purchased a glass a bourbon and a glass of water. I didn't pour it out (never poured out a beer), but I came pretty close. Incidentally, I adore the Dirty Bastard. That's a fine beer.

Planning: Nothing.:(
Fermenting: Australian Pale Ale, Wee Heavy
Drinking: Nelson Sauvin Saison

Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #180
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneb View Post
Founder's Backwoods Bastard. If I wanted a big glass of watered down bourbon, I would have purchased a glass a bourbon and a glass of water. I didn't pour it out (never poured out a beer), but I came pretty close. Incidentally, I adore the Dirty Bastard. That's a fine beer.
I love that dirty bastard. Just wish I could afford to buy it more often. Only place I've found it locally charges $12 for a 6er. A little pricey for me.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

geneb Likes This 

Quick Reply