Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #1781
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
Last night I tried Heretic BC's Evil Cousin for the first time. I wouldn't necessarily call it the worst beer I've ever had, but man, what a terrible IIPA. It was an absolute caramel bomb. I double checked the bottling date just to make sure it wasn't a year old...it was bottled on 6/16. I made it through about 4 sips before dumping it. $8 down the drain. Illustrates exactly why I'm always hesitant to pick a beer off the shelf without having a sample first.
I've had Evil Cousin fresh on tap and it's awesome. I've also had it bottled and had the same experience as you. It's very susceptible to poor handling and loses hop flavor and aroma really fast. It's really a shame because fresh it's fantastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #1782
Chadwick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Old Monk 10000. It was like a really bad BMC style beer with shots of tequila in it. No head, no lacing, and nothing redeeming about it. It was handily masquerading as a craft beer sold by the bottle in the craft beer section for a craft beer price. If it was crafted, it was crafted by monkeys drinking tequila.

EDIT: I would like to add that I should have known better. The bottle was made so poorly that I was a little surprised it didn't burst on the shelf. The glass of the bottle looked like that decorative glass which is saturated with bubbles. That should have been a clue.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #1783
BigPerm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
I'm a chili head from way back. I'm growing some Ghost peppers now in pots. As much as I love them, I can not imagine why anyone would think pairing these with beer would be a good idea. I could see a specialty beer using a bit of pepper for a hint of spice, that would be interesting. However, Ghost peppers are so intense. People who haven't experienced them really has no idea how intense they actually are. To put it in perspective, I can eat Habanaro peppers like grapes. Sure, they are really hot but I'll be fine. I once ate a giant Ghost pepper whole, ruined the rest of my next two days. I had to lay down, there was a point I thought I was going to lose consciousness. And that was just the first 30 minutes after eating it. Suffering, of one form or another, continued for 2 days.
I live in Cincinnati, and there's a brewery here that makes a RIS with ghost chiles (Rivertown Death). While I like peppers and spicy food, I am not generally a fan of chile beers, but this beer is fantastically balanced. You could actually, probably, have two and not have your palate wrecked. It's delicious. It really can be done (just don't eat the peppers out of the keg...)

Souring: Sour Stout, Berliner #3 (L. brevis)
Conditioning: Saison x2, Brown Ale, Farmhouse Radler, Berliner #2, Barrel-Aged Imperial Rye Smoked Porter, Wit (+ Calabaza blanca dregs), Quadrupel
Drinking Now: DIPA, Hop-Bursted IPA, Wit, Barrel-Aged RIS, Belgian IPA, Belgian Stout, Hefeweizen, Belgian Hefeweizen, Smoked Robust Porter, American Stout, Berliner #1

Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #1784
themachinist
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just tried another realy bad beer last night. Catty Wompus from devils backbone, a fairly local brewery so I try their beers when I see them. Glad I did the mix and match 6er. The bottle says Belgium inspired ipa. It should say beer like substance hopped with moldy grass clippings.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #1785
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

^

DB is only a few miles from me, I think they're over rated......The Vienna Lager sucks balls.......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #1786
themachinist
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranger99 View Post
^

DB is only a few miles from me, I think they're over rated......The Vienna Lager sucks balls.......
Yea I haven't tried anything but the Vienna and that catty whompus neither were good. center of the universe is closer to me and they make some very nice beers.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #1787
HarborTownBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Tried "Wisconsinite" from Lakefront Brewery. Freakin' horrible. The upfront flavor was okay, but then it turned to sour lemongrass with a horrible lingering. I usually love Lakefront - really disappointed. Maybe it was bad, who knows.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #1788
Zwerski
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Racer 5 IPA. Tried it thrice. Never nice. It's dead to me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #1789
jdm61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My brother and I did a tasting of like 6 craft beers at Sloppy Joe's in key west and I would say that there were fairly horrible. I haven't had a lot of "craft" beer, but to my taste, some of the worst that I have had were Sierra Nevada and Duchesse de Bourgogne.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #1790
jd_brewing
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 5

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407592188.758614.jpg
Lucky budha beer, not the worst but not good. Had to buy it for the bottle though

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-

Quick Reply