Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #131
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backporchbrewery View Post
Rogue Voodoo Doughnut. Worst. Beer. Ever. Tasted like a burnt firework dipped into maple syrup.
You were supposed to be too embarrassed to admit you bought it to complain about it!!! Because of the packaging!!!

From what I heard, the beer was an 'accident', or 'experiment' if you prefer. They had buckets of it and were considering dumpage. But then, a brilliant marketing wizard remembered a most evil scheme exploiting shame and ignorance. Hence Voodoo Doughnut.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #132
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester
I'm surprised no oyster stouts have popped up. Maybe people are smart enough not to try them?

I'll add one that's far and away my #2 most awful and that's 3Floyd's Brian Baroo. The bottle I got tasted of armpits and I will not try it again.
The only oyster stout I have had was excellent.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #133
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Victory smoked porter. Tasted like a bottle of liquid smoke.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #134
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

bring on the hate... i don't like maudite. it just feels like a hot mess to me. i am a big fan of almost all other unibroue stuff but i gave maudite multiple second chances and it always just ended up being unbalanced and gross.

trafalgar crapt brewery is my most hated microbrewery and i love to spread the bad word about them. they are somehow in bed with the government run booze organization in canada and have always had their absurdly bad products bought up using taxpayers money. at best their stuff tastes thin, poorly made and full of off flavours, at worst (which is often) the product is infected or filled with gross trub. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/trafalgar-brewing/1976/

they wish they were wacky and inventive american microbrewers with talent so they make a new beer every month without ever bothering to correct or perfect anything. so typical and aggravating

Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #135
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Taking many Craft "Specialty Brews" out of their context can make them unappealing but doesn't truly make them horrid brews. I have brewed some beers that I wasn't a big fan of, but have friends who consider it their "favorite" and are always asking when I will brew it again. Beer can be so personal, it's this fact along with the creativity of brewing which has drawn me in to it.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #136
Guden
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by watomlinson
i'm not a wheat beer fan in general, but by far the worst beer i've ever had has to be 21st amendments "Hell or High-Watermelon". i even tried it on more than one occasion bc i've liked all the other beers i've tried by them, and every time it was just down right gross.

but, with that said, their "back in black" black IPA is quite delicious.
I agree the hell or high-watermelon tastes like rotten melon rind, not only the worst craft beer I've had but the worst beer in general. That said I also thought back in black kind of sucked and have decided to give up on 21st amendment entirely.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #137
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypo View Post
The only oyster stout I have had was excellent.
Agreed. I had one at the Lobster Trap in Asheville and thought it was excellent. The idea of putting oysters into the boil made me want to vomit, but the calcium the oyster shells gave it an unique mouth feel and had no seafood flavors.

Quote:
I seem to be detecting a trend here. Are there any NC brewers who have had GOOD experiences with Roth brewing? Just wondering...
It's very disappointing as all the Raleigh and North Carolina beers I have tried have been okay to excellent with the exception of Roth which is terrible. A professional brewery is supposed to have some standards when it comes to quality - their beer tastes like the first homebrews I made that had significant flaws, mostly due to poor yeast handling, fermentation temperatures, and sanitation. A lot of those flaws are easily correctable by following basic procedures.

I used to think the worst brewery in Raleigh was Boylan Bridge Brew Pub because every style of their beer tasted the same. At least you could drink those and they have a tremendous view of the downtown. The beer I had at Roth was easily the worst "craft" beer I've ever tried. I can understand one or two missing the mark, but every beer I tried was awful and full of off-flavors.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #138
GioGomez2010
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was in Seattle earlier this year and picked up a six of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I had heard good things about it but for the life of me I couldn't finish more than a bottle and a half. I gave the other four away and dumped half of one. It gave me the most sickening feeling in my gut when I drank it. I hope it was a bad batch or old.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #139
Zabuza
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthecat
bring on the hate... i don't like maudite. it just feels like a hot mess to me. i am a big fan of almost all other unibroue stuff but i gave maudite multiple second chances and it always just ended up being unbalanced and gross.

trafalgar crapt brewery is my most hated microbrewery and i love to spread the bad word about them. they are somehow in bed with the government run booze organization in canada and have always had their absurdly bad products bought up using taxpayers money. at best their stuff tastes thin, poorly made and full of off flavours, at worst (which is often) the product is infected or filled with gross trub. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/trafalgar-brewing/1976/

they wish they were wacky and inventive american microbrewers with talent so they make a new beer every month without ever bothering to correct or perfect anything. so typical and aggravating
Dude that's hilarious I've never seen such across the board terrible ratings for a brewery before. Man I'm glad I've never tried any of that stuff.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #140
Notorious_HOP
Brewer At Busted Sandal Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrain666 View Post
Any double pilsner from any brewery. Not a style thats needs to be "doubled". And a big vote for Summer Shandy.
I'll second both of these.

Tried Sierra Nevada's Imperial Pilsner from their Boot Camp series. It wasn't drain pour bad but it was not good.

A new brewery is coming to San Antonio, TX! Click on these links to follow Busted Sandal Brewing Company on Facebook and Twitter for updates.

Quick Reply