New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #1171
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sam Adams "summer ale" I think? Seems like they were shooting for a shandy and got more of a "Mike's hard lemonade- boons farm" flavor without the added ethanol. Took one sip and then abandoned it at a party near where someone else had one, maybe they drank it, I dunno.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #1172
Pilotpip
Recipes 

Usually a fan of New Belgium but I can't stand Shift. I dumped 2 of the 4 cans I had. I've never brewed a lager but this stuff had a horrible sulfur smell and aftertaste. This time of year I drink a lot of lagers and wheats. BMC is usually in the cooler when I go fishing and I was hoping to make a change.

I've yet to try anything from Shipyard that I've enjoyed and I don't get the hype behind Bell's and DFH. Maybe 10 years ago they had something but today there are way too many good craft breweries out there to justify their price for an average beer.

This is a great example of how different people have different tastes. I've seen people mention New Belgium Rampant, Lagunitas WTF and a couple others that I really enjoy drinking. I'm sure people will say the same about my opinions.

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer at all.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #1173
NormPeterson
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
Usually a fan of New Belgium but I can't stand Shift. I dumped 2 of the 4 cans I had. I've never brewed a lager but this stuff had a horrible sulfur smell and aftertaste. This time of year I drink a lot of lagers and wheats. BMC is usually in the cooler when I go fishing and I was hoping to make a change.

I've yet to try anything from Shipyard that I've enjoyed and I don't get the hype behind Bell's and DFH. Maybe 10 years ago they had something but today there are way too many good craft breweries out there to justify their price for an average beer.

This is a great example of how different people have different tastes. I've seen people mention New Belgium Rampant, Lagunitas WTF and a couple others that I really enjoy drinking. I'm sure people will say the same about my opinions.
Not arguing tastes but Bell's has some good brews along with some mediocre and even some below par, but I feel that's true of most breweries. In fact there is not one brewery I can even say puts out more than 70% good beer (IMO).

Note: In no way am I attacking your opinion, I only think its hard to rate a brewery rather than rate each individual beer by a brewery.

"What's new, Normie?"
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer."

Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #1174
NormPeterson
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Back on topic, Victory's Summer Love Ale was horrible to me. It was immediately traded to a friend for some Oberon. The other I was sadly disappointed with was SN Summerfest...however I do plan to try it again because it was after an imperial stout which needless to say can leave you needing stronger flavors than a light pilsner.

"What's new, Normie?"
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer."

Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #1175
bobmcstuff
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie View Post
Hasn't changed much. Had a Stella the other day.
Stella as in Stella Artois? Or some other Stella I don't know about?

Stella Artois is hardly "craft".

Edit: it's made by AB Inbev

Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #1176
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcstuff

Stella Artois is hardly "craft".

Edit: it's made by AB Inbev
Goose Island is also owned by AB InBev but most people would classify it as "craft".

You are free to believe whatever you want.
That doesn't mean everybody else has to.
I've never tried Stella so I have no personal opinion on whether it is craft or not, but if someone else considers it craft, I won't begrudge them their opinion.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #1177
paliessmann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37
Had New Belgium's Rampant tonight. I don't know if my palate has been ruined by the hop bombs that I typically enjoy, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Not the worst I've had, but I wouldn't buy it again.

On the other hand, Lagunitas Dogtown Pale Ale...holy cow! A damn good pale ale. Why have I not had this before?
+1 on the rampant

Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #1178
bobmcstuff
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
Goose Island is also owned by AB InBev but most people would classify it as "craft".

I've never tried Stella so I have no personal opinion on whether it is craft or not, but if someone else considers it craft, I won't begrudge them their opinion.
Oh I agree with you generally, I'm sure there's plenty of beers like that. But the idea that Stella is some sort of craft beer is laughable - it's one of the biggest selling beers in the UK so it's not really much different from suggesting any BMC product is a craft beer. Which I'm sure would go down badly in these parts

It's also nicknamed "wifebeater" which is deeply un-classy.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #1179
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post

I work in collections... Just had to call a certain brewery cause they didn't Pay their bill..... Awesome

Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #1180
andysim
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Had New Belgium's Rampant tonight. I don't know if my palate has been ruined by the hop bombs that I typically enjoy, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Not the worst I've had, but I wouldn't buy it again.

On the other hand, Lagunitas Dogtown Pale Ale...holy cow! A damn good pale ale. Why have I not had this before?
I disagree with you on Dogtown. Had some Tuesday night at a Durham Bull's game. I gave it a two out of five on UNTAPPD.

Primary - Air
Secondary - Blood Orange Hefe
Oak Rum Barrel - Sour Saison #2
Bottles: Sour #1
Kegged - Gumball Head Clone, Joco Choco Ringer Brown Ale, 1/4 Nut Notty Brown Ale 1 empty :(

Quick Reply