New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #1001
HomebrewNate
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This may not be the worst craft beer, but maybe the most disappointing:

Almost everything by Sea Dog brewery

They recently opened a brewery in the Tampa Bay area and I went to enjoy a couple flights, excited to try it off the tap and something other than the Blueberry ale... other than their hazelnut porter and monkey fist (which was ok), everything else was very mediocre at best.

On another note, as craft brews grow in popularity I believe that Sea Dog falls in the category of craft brewers that have sold out. It's sad to see, but I feel like many start relying on marketing rather than the quality and "word of mouth" aspect of their products.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #1002
gometz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whsoj View Post
Ill hold you to that when I go to NOLA in the fall. Could have been that over processed water they have out there. I like my NC mountain creek water. But ill try it again and ill use your parking trick thanks for the tip!
Not promising you all too much, but the ones I've had were drinkable.

Then again my girlfriend has been pointing out to me that sometimes I am too nice to beers. For instance last night I tried what she was drinking and nearly wanted to spit it out. Before telling me what it was she had me try it again and asked me what I thought it was. It was Stella, a beer I considered a decent drinking beer if nothing good was available.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #1003
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometz View Post
I just remember it being boring and falling flat. Like they only added hops at the beginning of the boil.
I wonder if you got a bad or old bottle. They are in my neck of the woods and I consider this to be a great beer. If not, to each their own of course.

(In regards to Lagunitas IPA)

Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #1004
Skeptidelphian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I just had to toss some Anchor Summer Beer. Tasted awful, a tad skunky and generally oxidized. And it was a fresh bottle.

Primary #1: Boathouse Brown (American Brown Ale)
Secondary: Empty
Conditioning:
Drinking:
In the Works:All-American Pale Ale (American Pale Ale), Wissahickon Wheat Beer (American Wheat Beer), Down the Shore Ale (Blonde Ale)

Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #1005
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Anchors bock is really off balanced and not good as well. They've really had some duds lately.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #1006
wisconsinitebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I do think I want to try one though. It may suck, but at least I know. I think that is also the lure of the maple bacon beer too that basically tops this list!
Thats what sucked me in to try the maple bacon last night. Thought i was getting a deal from the bar, took one sip, and realized why it was so cheap...man o man, that was something...
Keg 2: Black IPA
Keg 3: O.P.A.
Keg 4: Hard Ice Tea

Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1007
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Just saw Goose Island at Kroger yesterday, but considering what everyone has been saying I think I might be careful.

Got some Alaskan Amber Ale though (supposedly Alt-style), not sure what to think of it. Very strong apple flavor, but in a clean way.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #1008
Swarley88
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometz View Post
Just saw Goose Island at Kroger yesterday, but considering what everyone has been saying I think I might be careful.

Got some Alaskan Amber Ale though (supposedly Alt-style), not sure what to think of it. Very strong apple flavor, but in a clean way.
They for sure aren't the worst craft brew. Them being owned by AnBev throws everyone against them for some reason. In my eyes they just have a better distribution now and kicks money upstairs to the big guy. Now they aren't amazing, blow your mind out of your head beer, but definitely not bad. Check em out, and judge them on the quality of the brew and not who they are partially owned by. Founders is owned by em partially, are their beers bad? There are tons of awesome craft beers owned by them. The Belgian addition like Sophie and Pepe Nero are some good stuff. The IPA is alright. Not a fan of 312 but if you like wheats you'll like it.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #1009
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley88 View Post
They for sure aren't the worst craft brew. Them being owned by AnBev throws everyone against them for some reason. In my eyes they just have a better distribution now and kicks money upstairs to the big guy. Now they aren't amazing, blow your mind out of your head beer, but definitely not bad. Check em out, and judge them on the quality of the brew and not who they are partially owned by. Founders is owned by em partially, are their beers bad? There are tons of awesome craft beers owned by them. The Belgian addition like Sophie and Pepe Nero are some good stuff. The IPA is alright. Not a fan of 312 but if you like wheats you'll like it.
I agree that GI is good, and I'd argue great, especially if you try their Belgians. Also, I'd say most of the world considers Bourbon County beers to be world class (Stout, King Henry). They are blow your mind beers.

AND why do you think Founder's is owned partially by AB-inbev? I've never heard that and can't find it online??

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #1010
diodeart
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateburn View Post
I second that first beer I dumped
I just opened this last night. A little challanging but not quite worth pouring.

Quick Reply