New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > whats the worst brewing accident you have witnessed or been a part of?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #51
andvari7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andvari7 View Post
This past January, I was siphoning to bottles, from a plastic bucket. About two-thirds of the way into it, the 2-gallon bucket, which was perched rather precariously on the bathroom sink counter, tipped over. I was covered, and I lost the rest of the batch. Just as well; the beer was plastic-y and undrinkable.

I'm not taking any chances next time: I'm siphoning on an inverted five-gallon bucket, and keeping the bottles in a Rubbermaid bin whilst bottling.
I have another contender for the worst brewing accident:

This past brew day (3/1), I was preparing my morning for a 6:30 start time. I went outside to get the propane tank, and the burner. The tank, which was connected to the grill, came away clean, no problems. The burner was buried under a drift of snow, which came away fine. The hose, however, was partially encased in ice. It peeled away without trouble, until I got to the hook-up valve. It was, unbeknownst to me, completely encased in ice, and then buried under five inches of snow. When I went to free it, I sheared it from the rest of the hose. It is beyond repair, and in addition to no longer being able to brew out-of-doors, I can no longer stir-fry, nor can I deep-fry turkeys.

I'm essentially forced to use an electric stove until I buy a new turkey fryer. I'll let you know how my two brews in primary turn out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #52
brewtus_
I say, lookey here son...

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGeekGuy View Post
But is the beer OK?
Yep, beer is fine! I know my priorities - pitched the yeast before heading to the ER.

The earlier you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

PhelanKA7 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #53
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I once scalded my, uh, male gender bits while chilling a batch.

In our old apartment building where I stove-topped, I pre-heated my IC with hot sink water. Usually I disconnected the 'in' line from the IC so when the water inside it started to boil it'd have two adequate vents (the 'out' and the 'in', both of which would be in the sink). This day I neglected to unscrew the line from the faucet and put the IC in the kettle, 15 minutes before flame-out. As I stood there making hop additions the water in the IC boiled and shot out the only path it could...the 'out' line, which was not held into the sink drain by anything. The hose jumped the sink with one spurt and the second spurt aimed itself directly at a very un-burnable area of my anatomy. I yelped something about it being hot, and later the neighbors brought up some burn ointment. Other than the embarrassment no lasting harm was done- and I now secure all lines and step away from the kettle as soon as the IC is in.
You can decide for yourselves why clothes didn't soak up the heat before the water hit skin. Kyle

Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #54
AllHopAbandon

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't like the pouring-from-bucket-to-bucket method of aeration anymore.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #55
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Cobra tap wasn't fully assembled from the LHBS when I attached it. Pretty tame. Typical spills etc, but nothing even remotely as bad as my previous hobby... 2007 Honda 919.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #56
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
After just a couple of months reading the homebrew forums I am scared to death of glass carboys! I get nervous just looking at them on the shelves when I visit the LHBS!
I totally skip that aisle altogether for that reason.... The guys at Midwest must think I'm insane...

Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #57
brokendownyota
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcrew02 View Post
Cobra tap wasn't fully assembled from the LHBS when I attached it. Pretty tame. Typical spills etc, but nothing even remotely as bad as my previous hobby... 2007 Honda 919.
Is your last name really Brewer?

If so, well played, sir.

-Scott

Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #58
SteveHeff
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 234

I had the worst boil over of my life using an extract kit. Super sticky wort was all over my brand new oven/range, and down the sides...along the back. It was everywhere. When it was happening, I didn't simply grab the pot with the gloves I had on. Nope. I started throwing paper towels at the base of the pot in hopes that it would soak up the wort faster than it was boiling over. I now have wort/paper towels that are permanently stuck to the cook top. I've tried for 9 months to clean it (at least once a week). Range cook top still works well.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #59
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 807 Times on 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcrew02 View Post
What, only three pieces? You didn't do that right

I shattered one into so many pieces the ortho surgeon said it looked like a bag of marbles in there. Still have the steel strap and 6 screws. Fun ride

Cheers!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #60
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Worst thing I've ever done was absent mindedly grabbed a turkey fryer after removing the HLT which had been warming up on it for the past 30 minutes. I don't think I've ever been so mad at myself.

Quick Reply