*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > whats the worst brewing accident you have witnessed or been a part of?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Not an accident, but the most egregious mistake I've made. I dumped an entire corny of a Hefeweizen (my second batch of beer) because I mistook the heavy banana flavor caused by high ferm temp as an infection

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Summer Hefeweizen - own recipe
Primary #1: Hoppy American Amber
Primary #2:
on tap #1: Edwort's Apfelwein (aged 1 year)
on tap #2: none

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Packaging a 6-pack of Speckled Heifer for my sister-in-law. Bottom fell out. Top of one of the bottles went into my thigh. Four hours and three stitches later back home replenishing lost blood. Sister-in-law had cleaned up the brew room floor. Wife cleaned the blood out of her car.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvr00
(First batch) I could not for the life of me get my siphon primed so I was forced to suck it through with my mouth :-( That batch is still in 2nd stage.. Hoping for the best.
I did this lots without any problems, I'd always swish a mouthful of vodka first. If it does get infected I'd bet it's another problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was there in spirit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Beer_Flood

Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Lucky7s
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Picked up a Carboy full of wort after just pitching the yeast, bottom of the carboy fell out, spilled perfectly good wort everywhere. Luckily I was outside, so I didn't make a huge mess, but licking up the wort so it didn't go to waste wasn't as easy.
Similar here except my new carboy was seeping. Tried to get it in the bathtub, but bottom just broke out. I was left holding the neck in one hand and bottom in the other...with 5 1/2 gallons of chocolate peanut butter stout everywhere. No injuries but a lot of cleanup. It also cost me new carpeting in the adjoining master bedroom.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
andvari7
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts

This past January, I was siphoning to bottles, from a plastic bucket. About two-thirds of the way into it, the 2-gallon bucket, which was perched rather precariously on the bathroom sink counter, tipped over. I was covered, and I lost the rest of the batch. Just as well; the beer was plastic-y and undrinkable.

I'm not taking any chances next time: I'm siphoning on an inverted five-gallon bucket, and keeping the bottles in a Rubbermaid bin whilst bottling.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
BamaProud
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I cleaning an old (light blue-green glass) carboy that belonged to my Father N Laws mother. Just as I was finishing it up, the bottom fall out onto my bare feet. Cut me pretty good. I wasn't planing on using it, just cleaning it up for display.

Brewing mistake: prior to bottling my plastic valve came loose and started slowly leaking. In a mild panic I tried tightening it, but turned it the wrong way making it nearly fall out altogether. Luckily my wife was around so after about 1/2 gal spilled she held the valve in place while I cleaned another fermenter and racked it to safety. She won't let me bottle in the kitchen anymore.

Ferm3 -Apfelwein, Ferm4 -Skeeter Pee, Ferm5 -Jawbreaker Pale Ale

Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
WroxBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wasn't around when it happened, but my roomate witnessed the whole thing. He was on his computer in the living room when he heard a champagne cork popping sound come from the kitchen. He then heard what sounded like a strange gurgling noise and went to investigate. What he found was my 5 gallon carboy shooting a beer geyser straight up and hitting the ceiling (old colonial with high ceilings). Nothing he could really do about it so he watched until it fizzled out. Turns out the blow off tube got something stuck into it and the pressure just built up till the stopper blew. Beer everywhere! I wish he had a cell phone with a camera at the time, but alas no pics.

Fermenting: Bitter American Clone, Simcoe IPA
Conditioning:
On Tap/ bottle finished: Cream Ale, Cascade IIPA Dark Horse Porter, Beantown Brown Ale, Beantown Brown ale(w/vanilla bean)

Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvr00
(First batch) I could not for the life of me get my siphon primed so I was forced to suck it through with my mouth :-( That batch is still in 2nd stage.. Hoping for the best.
I've been doing this for over a year without any issues at all. While you shouldn't.... You certainly can.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
tripplehazzard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
Holy mother of all that is beer! That has to maybe the worst beer accident in history. Wow! Maybe you are one of these poor souls reincarnated .. how did you run across this bit?

"good people drink good beer" -HST

Quick Reply