Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whats up with this Citra Shortage?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
theBFG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 104
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Dang I just tried to order a lb and it looks like they aren't taking pre-orders anymore


Sorry to get your hopes up! To be fair, I ordered them last week. I tried looking at some other places but it looks like they are all sold out. Hopsdirect.com has belma pellets for sale for 5.25 a pound. Supposed to be a spicier but similar fruity newer hops like citra, if you like that type of thing. I bought two pounds of those to test so I can't comment just yet on how they actually are unfortunately.
__________________
theBFG is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
ktraver97ss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carol Stream, Illinois
Posts: 194
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
10.5lbs 2 row, .5lb MO, .5lb Crystal 80, .5lb Honey malt

60 min boil
1oz Amarillo (60 min)
1oz Amarillo (15 min)
1oz Citra (15 min)
2oz Amarillo (5 min)
1oz Citra (5 min)
1oz Amarillo (1 min)
1oz Citra (1 min)

1oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
1oz Citra (Dry Hop)

Tried and tested. One of the best brews ive done.
x2 this is mine, and it is my favorite brew to date as well.

30g batch

25# Canadian 2 row
25# Wheat malt
4# Caravienne
4# Flaked wheat
2# Melanoidin

FWH - 1oz Amarillo
FWH - 1oz Citra
60 min - 2oz Amarillo
60 min - 2oz Citra
30 min - 2oz Amarillo
30 min - 2oz Citra
15 min - 2oz Amarillo
15 min - 2oz Citra
5 min - 2oz Amarillo
5 min - 2oz Citra
0 min - 2oz Amarillo
0 min - 2oz Citra

Dry hop - 1oz each Citra and Amarillo per 5g carboy
__________________
Redlight Brewing
Primary: Deep Woods IPA
Secondary: Belgian Wit
Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit
ktraver97ss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
theBFG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 104
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktraver97ss View Post
x2 this is mine, and it is my favorite brew to date as well.

30g batch

25# Canadian 2 row
25# Wheat malt
4# Caravienne
4# Flaked wheat
2# Melanoidin

FWH - 1oz Amarillo
FWH - 1oz Citra
60 min - 2oz Amarillo
60 min - 2oz Citra
30 min - 2oz Amarillo
30 min - 2oz Citra
15 min - 2oz Amarillo
15 min - 2oz Citra
5 min - 2oz Amarillo
5 min - 2oz Citra
0 min - 2oz Amarillo
0 min - 2oz Citra

Dry hop - 1oz each Citra and Amarillo per 5g carboy
Awesome, both of these look solid. I will add these to my "to be brewed soon" list.
__________________
theBFG is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
WhiteDog87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 145
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Amarillo and I believe Citra as well are both only grown by one farm. These hop farmers are the only ones growing these strains and they don't wanna share (notice you will never find rhizomes of these strains for sale). Combine that with Amarillo and Citra being great hops that everyone (including large breweries) want to use in their beer, and that explains why they are so much harder to find than say Cascade, which can be grown by anybody with the dirt to put them in.

It would be nice for homebrewers if these farms would share, but I don't see that happening, since being the only farm with the hops everyone wants to buy is a pretty good form of financial security for them. Even though it is a bit MONSANTO like...

And 1 up on the tasty Amarillo/Citra combo IPA/PALE. I made a great Amarillo/Citra pale and a Hoppy Red dry hopped on Citra/Amarillo, both were delicious.

__________________
WhiteDog87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,030
Liked 386 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
Amarillo and I believe Citra as well are both only grown by one farm. These hop farmers are the only ones growing these strains and they don't wanna share (notice you will never find rhizomes of these strains for sale). Combine that with Amarillo and Citra being great hops that everyone (including large breweries) want to use in their beer, and that explains why they are so much harder to find than say Cascade, which can be grown by anybody with the dirt to put them in.

It would be nice for homebrewers if these farms would share, but I don't see that happening, since being the only farm with the hops everyone wants to buy is a pretty good form of financial security for them. Even though it is a bit MONSANTO like...
LOL..you must not have any good ideas if you take that attitude about intellectual property.


back to topic, I'm glad I ordered some citra a while back, my girlfriend insists on skeezers zombie dust being on tap at all times.
__________________
Xpertskir is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Krovitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 585
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354
The only beer I use Citra for is my IPA and I haven't brewed it since last year. I usually use Cascade, Nugget, Centennial and Kent Goldings (for UK brews), all of which are easy to find, but where is all the Citra? Any good replacements? My IPA consists of Nugget and Citra.
What state do you live in? In MA there's a LHBS that is very well stocked throughout the year. I don't think they sell by the lbs though. I found a huge stock pile of citra and amarillo in July.
__________________
Krovitz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

labelpeelers still has them in pellet and leaf form. To get ahead of the responses, yes, shipping costs money and yes citra hops are expense.

http://labelpeelers.com/hops-citra-hops-c-1_64_232.html

__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 423
Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
What state do you live in? In MA there's a LHBS that is very well stocked throughout the year. I don't think they sell by the lbs though. I found a huge stock pile of citra and amarillo in July.
Pennsylvania. My LHBS has some but not alot. Don't want to be greedy and buy them all up.
__________________
brewSTEIN Beer Co.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy
scottyg354 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
WhiteDog87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 145
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

[QUOTE=Xpertskir;4564568]LOL..you must not have any good ideas if you take that attitude about intellectual property.


Geeze that was kind of a rude response lol....you must not have ANY friends with that attitude

I was responding to the original post which asked why citra was soo hard to find/in demand with an actual answer.

Aside from that I wasn't bashing the farmers for hanging on to their hop varietals, I was saying why they would do it (money). But I believe all of us would love to have ample access to these hops and be able to grow them in our personal gardens. (and gee, wouldn't it be nice if people were motivated by something other than money like I dunno, making great beer?)

As for the MANSANTO reference, if your not familiar, they have genetically altered crops which only they are allowed to grow.

__________________
WhiteDog87 is offline
JordanThomas Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,461
Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
As for the MANSANTO reference, if your not familiar, they have genetically altered crops which only they are allowed to grow.


Not even vaguely Monsanto like, dude. Growing a proprietary hop strain created through selective breeding isn't anything like selling corn that has been genetically modified.
__________________
TNGabe is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cap Shortage atimmerman88 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 08-29-2012 03:38 AM
Dry Hop Citra Pale Ale with Citra? Boek Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 04-30-2012 01:47 AM
Another hop shortage already? jmf143 General Beer Discussion 3 12-05-2011 08:01 PM
Hop Shortage Still? BrewFrick Recipes/Ingredients 12 10-03-2008 03:45 AM
#@%$# hop shortage nyer General Chit Chat 4 09-23-2008 03:21 PM