Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whats up with this Citra Shortage?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #131
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kman6234's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Closter, NJ
Posts: 396
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Crazy stuff when you think about it.
What happens when as homebrewers we have no availability to these "top bred" hops??

Will the hobby sacrifice because we wont have an ingredient that makes our favorite beer "that", or will that never happen and hop farms keep adjusting to the market?
I think we homebrewers are an adaptive bunch. If we can't get some of these hard to find hops most of us are going to find a way to work around it and still make beers we enjoy.
__________________
Jane Street Brewhaus


On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel


"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
kman6234 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #132
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Crazy stuff when you think about it.
What happens when as homebrewers we have no availability to these "top bred" hops??

Will the hobby sacrifice because we wont have an ingredient that makes our favorite beer "that", or will that never happen and hop farms keep adjusting to the market?

I doubt it will get that bad.. Seriously.. There's plenty of Citra out there, probably not enough for EVERYONE to have it in EVERY beer, and in some places there might be shortages, but I've been able to put Citra in my hand everytime I went to the LHBS for it.

Late in the season, it could be hard to find the fan favorites, but I can't see it getting so dire that the homebrew community is shut out.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #133
Krovitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 585
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Indeed. My LHBS runs out of good hops almost immediately. About an hour and a half away there's a very well stocked store. In July, they had an entire shelf of citra and amarillo leaf. The guy at the counter told me they have a really good relationship with hop union. The hops are out there, it's just a matter of who gets them.

__________________
Krovitz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #134
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

For instance.. I just went to my LHBS to put together some recipes for the coming weeks.

Milled my grains up, got it all together, and I wanted to do a Citra Pale Ale. Roughly 2#'s of Citra leaf in the freezer, and plenty of 1oz packs of Citra pellet in the fridge..

He was out of FF7C's, go figure.

Just gotta search it out. I never knew there was a shortage of Citra, until I got on the internet.

__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #135
SHBSJon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 44
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Not having any of the new popular hops won't stop me from making beer. I made a ton of beer before these were even available. It seems like at lot of these were the substitutes we "got stuck with" during the 2008 shortage. It turns out they are great hops and people really want them now.

__________________

South Hills Brewing-Greentree
Country Wines-North Hills
South Hills Brewing-Monroeville

SHBSJon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #136
Snicks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Johns, Newfoundland
Posts: 106
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Got my lb of citra, pretty excited because its 100% new to me. As far as I know I haven't even had citra in a commercial brew, Smash IPA perhaps?

__________________
Snicks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #137
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicks View Post
Got my lb of citra, pretty excited because its 100% new to me. As far as I know I haven't even had citra in a commercial brew, Smash IPA perhaps?
Citra is not a good bittering hop IMO, be careful with anything longer than 30 minutes.
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
Snicks Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #138
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leesburg, Virginia
Posts: 3,172
Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer

Citra is not a good bittering hop IMO, be careful with anything longer than 30 minutes.
I disagree, Citra works fine as a bittering hop. However, unless you're making a citra single hop IPA (which I've made and enjoyed), there's no reason to use it for bittering. Use a different neutral hop for bittering (I recommend ultra), and save the citra for flavor/aroma additions.
__________________
usfmikeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #139
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
I disagree, Citra works fine as a bittering hop. However, unless you're making a citra single hop IPA (which I've made and enjoyed), there's no reason to use it for bittering. Use a different neutral hop for bittering (I recommend ultra), and save the citra for flavor/aroma additions.
Too harsh for me for bittering, but I was responding to a post about a citra SMaSH, so he wants to use it to bitter.
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #140
OldWorld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 377
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Pacific Gem is a good a substitute.

__________________
OldWorld is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cap Shortage atimmerman88 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 08-29-2012 03:38 AM
Dry Hop Citra Pale Ale with Citra? Boek Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 04-30-2012 01:47 AM
Another hop shortage already? jmf143 General Beer Discussion 3 12-05-2011 08:01 PM
Hop Shortage Still? BrewFrick Recipes/Ingredients 12 10-03-2008 03:45 AM
#@%$# hop shortage nyer General Chit Chat 4 09-23-2008 03:21 PM