The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the highest abv I can reach?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
I_Brew_Drunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What's the highest abv I can reach?

I'm curious what's the highest alcohol content I can reach and still have a beer that's drinkable. I'm not a huge fan of barleywine but I can go that route if its the only way. I'm looking to make a beer that I can pull out for my friends that want something different/new, then I can just pull out this bad boy and knock them into the wall . A novelty beer of sorts. I've been brewing partial mash but I'm planning on making a MLT soon for AG. I'll probably only want to make a 2.5 gallon batch of this stuff. Any cool recipes you guys know/have tried?!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Why not a BW? What is it you don't like about them? Do you have any flavor characteristics in mind? And define "drinkable"...it varies from person to person.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Brew_Drunk View Post
I'm curious what's the highest alcohol content I can reach and still have a beer that's drinkable. I'm not a huge fan of barleywine but I can go that route if its the only way. I'm looking to make a beer that I can pull out for my friends that want something different/new, then I can just pull out this bad boy and knock them into the wall . A novelty beer of sorts. I've been brewing partial mash but I'm planning on making a MLT soon for AG. I'll probably only want to make a 2.5 gallon batch of this stuff. Any cool recipes you guys know/have tried?!

Thanks
Stouts tend to get boozy at around 12-13%, barleywines can go up to 15% (case in point DFH Olde School), and then there's the more extreme 120min IPAs, Paradox brews, etc that can round out upwards of 20%.

That being said, I'd try to keep it below 15% if you're looking for something to drink within a year, because it takes a long long time for the big boy beers to mellow out.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It should also be mentioned that yeast health is of the utmost importance to making high gravity beers. You need to be able to make big yeast starters, aerate with pure O2, and control fermentation temperature to end up with a well attenuated, drinkable beer.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
I_Brew_Drunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Why not a BW? What is it you don't like about them? Do you have any flavor characteristics in mind? And define "drinkable"...it varies from person to person.
I tend to get a sweet/warm flavor out of BWs (as well as Belgians) that I'm not in love with. I'm more of a high IBU IPA, pales, porters & stouts kinda guy. That being said, this beer wont really be for me so its sounding like I should go with a BW and shoot for around %14 so I don't have to wait an eternity. What type of container would you guys recommend aging in? Carboy? Bottles?

Also, what about Imperial IPAs? whats the abv cap on those? I had a pretty good one at Rogue in SF last night (asked the bartender for their highest alcohol beer).

Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
tinman1
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brew once a year a 3F Gumballhead that basically doubles the grain bill but only collect 6 gallons. I have had it go as high as 15%, but you need to have a HUGE starter and 4X the hops. Fun to make- great novelty beer. Doesnt take too long to mellow out ( 4 weeks in secondary). Its also great when I am having back pain.....;-) PS: adding extract malt helps achieve the ^ gravity...

Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

My 5 year aging barleywine for my 50th birthday, made with 50 year old honey turned out to be 17.5% ABV. It's in an oak barrel now and is quite drinkable.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

here is a thread of someone taking their DFH 120 clone up around 20%. I forget exactly what they were going for.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-...-clone-259314/

Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
I_Brew_Drunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
I brew once a year a 3F Gumballhead that basically doubles the grain bill but only collect 6 gallons. I have had it go as high as 15%, but you need to have a HUGE starter and 4X the hops. Fun to make- great novelty beer. Doesnt take too long to mellow out ( 4 weeks in secondary). Its also great when I am having back pain.....;-) PS: adding extract malt helps achieve the ^ gravity...
tinman: I like the sound of that! I don't think I've ever had a wheat with a super high alc content.

You have the recipe by chance?

Revvy: that looks awesome, once I'm out of college & get a place I'm definitely going to have to whip up something like that.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 50

You can always try your hand at an eisbock of sorts. Lots of technique required, but you can get these to push 20%+ if you're lucky

Quick Reply