Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's a good SRM level for "red"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
paranode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What's a good SRM level for "red"?

I'm working on formulating a red ale and I thought I'd ask if anyone had experience getting a good 'red' color. I know what the BJCP ranges are and I know what the programs show the color to look like but that only tells part of the story. Don't want it to be brown and don't want it to be too orange. What level do you think one should shoot for, about 16?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

there are many opinions I have read on this and different ways to go about it. Also, ultimately it will be what looks good to you color wise. Not everyone sees color the same. That said...

You can use some roasted barley. A SMALL amount will give you a deep red color without really affecting flavor too much. Say maybe .06 to .125 lb (some people say a little more)

Also Carared will give you some red color. I believe you can use up to 25% of your grist with Carared. It is a special caramel malt produced by Weyermann that gives a red color.

There are some starting points.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. I had actually factored .125 lb of roasted barley in coincidentally! That provided most of the color according to my beer program.

The carared is a good suggestion, I'll have to play around with the numbers on that one too.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Melanoidin malt gets you towards red (Munich, too, to a lesser extent).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1057 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm doing an american amber Saturday using carared, crystal 80, and melenoidin. Beer tools puts the SRM at 13. I don't think SRM is a good indicator of how red it is, more like how opaque.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

I just did a red using 8 lb 2-row, 8 oz crystal 120, 1 oz black patent, and 8 oz victory. 13 SRM and nice and red!

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Quick Reply