Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's brewing related that someone may not think they need, but should really have?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
MetallHed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default What's brewing related that someone may not think they need, but should really have?

I'm visiting the Northern Brewer storefront in Minnesota on Thursday during a shopping trip. I brew all-grain and partial-mash and have everything I need to brew beer, so I'm having a hard time coming up with something to look at or pick up while I'm at the store.

I know that people are getting certificates for the holidays and I thought this thread may help them get ideas on what to get.

Name something that a brewer should add/upgrade that you think is a must have. Explain why.

This thread could be useful for any brewer that thinks they have it all. (Also it'll help me pick out my B-day present )

EDIT: added some bits for clarification. I'm trying to steer this to a general convo/suggestion thread, not focused on what I, specifically, need/want. Hope that helps!

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It's pretty hard to give suggestions when I don't know what you already have? Buy some grain you haven't used or a perlick faucet.

If you have it all already, grain is the only thing I would get there.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
MetallHed
Recipes 

I'm thinking just for everyone, not necessarily me in particular.

Like saying "Oh man, everyone needs a winethief. Ditch the turkey baster, this thing is the cornerstone to my brewing." Or "a brewer should definitely have a [brand] thermometer. By far the best thermometer I've ever had because it's totally accurate."

That kind of stuff. People are getting gift certificates for the holidays and maybe are having a hard time deciding what they should get. I was hoping this thread may give them a few ideas.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
MetallHed
Recipes 

I edited the OP to hopefully clarify.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love my 1/2" autosiphon. I think everyone should have one.

The time it takes to siphon versus my 3/8 is significantly faster.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Hmm, perhaps it would be easier if anyone answering was to assume that the person doing the purchasing has a basic extract starter kit already.

For me, it would be yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and pectin enzyme. You don't really need them for beer, but if you decide to make hard apple cider or wine they are very useful.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
MetallHed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Hmm, perhaps it would be easier if anyone answering was to assume that the person doing the purchasing has a basic extract starter kit already.

For me, it would be yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and pectin enzyme. You don't really need them for beer, but if you decide to make hard apple cider or wine they are very useful.
Good idea

Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Gift certificate, or Visa gift card so that the person getting the gift can pick what he/she needs/wants. Sucks getting something you already have or don't need. IF you know if the person is extract, partial mash, or all grain, you can get some things. If you know they like a certain hop variety or malt, you could get that (a sack of MO is amost always appreciated). But, IMO, funds for the person getting the gift gives them the flexibility/freedom to get what THEY want.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

auto-siphon.

I know that most people have it, but some don't and that some should upgrade to it or a spigot. Cause using a racking cane and siphoning with sanitizer (cause you can't suck it out, it's bad for the wort) is messy and cumbersome. For only 10 bucks you should have an auto siphon. Or use a bottling bucket so you can use a spigot, either is much more acceptable than the hassles of racking cane. Hate the racking cane.

After that I would probably recommend a Starsan, most people have the basic crappy cleaner when they start out, and it's fine, but Starsan is so much better.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just my two cents, but I think the Vinator is a must have for any bottler. Quick and efficient way to sanitize bottles before filling. Not a "must have", but definitely nice to have.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Quick Reply