Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whats all the fuss about natural gas in basement?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
BMWMK2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Whats all the fuss about natural gas in basement?

I dont see what all the fuss is about using natural gas in the basement. If you hve make up air and an exhaust system of some sort, why is it so bad to use natural gas?
Your cooking stove is gas, and i understand that it is a lower volume than a burner but with the make up air and a better exhaust system than those small kitchen hoods why would this be any more dangerous than my kitchen stove?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

if you have makeup air and hood exhaust system there is "NO FUSS"

its when you have a window cracked open and think that it is satisfactory where things can go wrong.

-=Jason=-

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
BMWMK2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thats what i thought. but every time i bring it up someone says something about how it is dangerous. if it really is dangerous can someone give tell me why specifically. also the gas line is being installed by a licensed professional who actually works for the gas company.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMK2
thats what i thought. but every time i bring it up someone says something about how it is dangerous. if it really is dangerous can someone give tell me why specifically. also the gas line is being installed by a licensed professional who actually works for the gas company.
Thanks awesome. The reason you got the advice you got was because most people have large kitchen, built by a pro. When most people hear basement and burner, they imagine a tiny window with little ventilation and huge burner.

If you have exhaust and make up air, and installed by a pro, you're good to go.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You should still have a CO monitor in place. If you're adequately ventilated and I don't mean an open window or cellar door with a box fan in it then go for it. Otherwise whoever goes down there to retrieve your unconscious body is going to overwhelmed by the CO rather quickly.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Good tip. Every home should have multiple carbon monoxide detectors.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMK2 View Post
I dont see what all the fuss is about using natural gas in the basement. If you hve make up air and an exhaust system of some sort, why is it so bad to use natural gas?
Your cooking stove is gas, and i understand that it is a lower volume than a burner but with the make up air and a better exhaust system than those small kitchen hoods why would this be any more dangerous than my kitchen stove?
The fuss is probably about outdoor propane cookers, not natural gas. Outdoor propane turkey fryers, camp stoves, Banjo/Hurricane burners, etc should not be used indoors because they consume enormous amounts of air and output similar amounts of exhaust products.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
BSD_Glass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Propane is actually a problem indoors because propane is heavier than air and may pool in the basement leading to a boom boom kind of day. NG is lighter than air so be less likely to pool in the bottom floor of your building.

Combustion gasses are a real danger but the bigger danger is a propane leak building up in your space.

Ventilation and make up air are really important, but with NG the fuel will vacate your space through your exhaust and the propane may not as readily.

I've been a glass blower for over 12 years and know more than I ever cared to about combustion gasses and safety.

Cheers.

BSD

Quick Reply