New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is your strangest brew day mishap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
ilikeguns
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default What is your strangest brew day mishap?

Curious to see what is the strangest/worst event that interrupted your brew day. I had mine tonight...

Tonight I had a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA clone on the burner and I was approaching the 25 minute additions (most of the hops are in the last 25 minutes), when my 2yr old daughter started crying. She was eating raisins and we concluded she may have stuck one up her nose. She calmed down and let us inspect up her nose with a flashlight but we couldnt see anything. We interrogated her for a bit and finally realized that there WAS a raisin up there so we were about to take her to the 24hr medical center.

Now, I didn't want to rush my flameout hops and wanted to make sure I pitched at the proper time so a trip to the doctor would throw a wrench into my plans. I took a closer look and saw "something" so my wife and I tried a few things to dislodge the raisin (getting her to blow out, reverse CPR etc) but nothing was successful. Finally I took a flexi-straw and stuck it up her nose and sucked it out. Love is sucking a snotty raisin out of your daughter's nose with a flexi straw then spitting it out.

As for the beer, it didn't get the full attention that I wanted, but my girls come first. Hopefully it turns out okay!

so that's my story.. what's yours?

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Swarley88
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Wow, what a story.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nothing like that yet but props to you sir, for making your daughter first. I'm sure ill have stories like this in the future with my kids.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
lespaul23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you throw the raisin in your wort?

Too much to list going on.....

Kevin

Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So it looks like the beer is bubbling away in my new ferm chamber.. wound up missing my SG by a few points. Should have been 1.079, was 1.076.

As far as the topic goes, my brother in law once threw a floating thermometer into a stout and it shattered.. all that work down the drain...

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

That's a fantastic story!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
brewinginnc
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts

I use a garden hose attached to my chiller out line to drain water away from house. Turn water on to chill my dopplebock and i see my tubing from chiller to hose start to grow before my eyes. I know immiedately the hose has a kink in it some where and as i turn to run and shut off water, blam, boiling hot water blows all over me, the garage and my precious dopplebock. I got the water off, reattached the hose and chilled it down. Morale of the story, check hoses when it is dark and you have had a few homebrews.
Also, swmbo looked out at me after hose blew and just shook her head at me, but i thought it was funny as hell.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So I am brewing a pliny the elder the other day and at the flameout just before I begin to use the chiller, my niece comes in and drops a pendant into the wort. It was not a new pendant, and I am not sure how old it was, My sister then comes in and proceeds to fish it out with a slotted spatula before I begin to protest it was already in the wort.......WTF??????? So, I thought the patch was ruined from infection. Its heavy beer, but then again the slapac did not go off like I had expected. I have never used on before and I just set it on the counter with out bursting the inside. On the inside there is the packet of nutrient that should have been broken. However, the fermentation went off as expected. I was really nervous about it for a day or so, when I pitched the yeast. I will know if its sour in a few days, but I think it will be alright.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Quick Reply