Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is your reaction when you discover a 'local' beer is actually contract brewed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default What is your reaction when you discover a 'local' beer is actually contract brewed?

In other words, a brewery that has been promoting itself etc as a local product is actually having their beer brewed somewhere else. Even as far as another state. And say, they make a very small percentage of their product in their promoted local brewery so they can say they are local, like <10%.

Does this impact your opinion of their beer? (And it happens probably more than you know!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

don't care, I buy beer because it tastes good. I don't care where it's from. Osama bin laden could brew it and if it was a great beer and reasonably priced I would buy 100 cases.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
fastricky

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You don't find it disingenuous? That it impacts the soul of the brand in some way?

Just asking, no right or wrong answers here.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

The only thing that impacts what I think of a beer, is how it tastes...nothing else. If I like the beer then I will spend money on it, and drink it, whether it is from a mega brewer if I am in the mood for it, a craft brewery, a brew pub, or a third party contract brewer (Like Trader Joes and Costcos, uses many contract breweries including Gordon Biersch, and unibroue for their signature brews.)

I emailed Gordon Biersch's brewmaster once, and he confirmed they are all brewed under the Reinheitsgebot.

So if the beer is good, I drink it, if it's ****e, I don't, it's that simple. I usuallydon't give a flying frig if it is brewed onsite or a contract brewery, heck, wasn't Sieerra Nevada or Sam Adam's contract brewed initially?

Heck some micro breweries/brewpubs, simply don't have the space to brew all the beer that they want onsite, especially if it's a chain....as long as they have developed the recipes with the contract brewers, that is fine with me. Now if a place claims to be a brewpub, and has no fermenter on site, and no brewer who coordinates with the contract brewer, then I might have a problem with it, somewhat, but again, if I like the beer, I like it.

If you ask them and they say they contract brew and they are upfront about it, fine...if they hem and haw and don't admit it and claim they are a brewery/brewpub but are just slapping their na,e on someone else's beer, then I would have an issue. But I think that is probably a rarity...I think most places, including breweries that contract brew are pretty above board about it. Then I don't have a problem.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Eh... depends on the place. If the centerpiece is the beer and they're promoting themselves as some great "local brewpub" then I might be irked - it all depends on the attitude of the place, the owner, the staff, etc.

A place that is more of a restaurant/bar that serves microbrew/local brews and focuses more on the overall experience (food, ambience, beer) - it wouldn't bother me so much.

If the beer is good, the food is good, and if it's local to where I live (i.e. I don't have to drive 10 miles to get good beer) I would probably still eat/drink there.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
it all depends on the attitude of the place, the owner, the staff, etc.
That's a big point right their...their attitude about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
fastricky

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It is rare actually that a beer brand will admit they are actually brewed elsewhere. Here in NYC/LI for example, all beer with one exception is brewed elsewhere. And there is no one owning up to it, as it were...

Old 11-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
It is rare actually that a beer brand will admit they are actually brewed elsewhere.
My experience as been quite the opposite. If you have a good relationship with a place, and you sound like you know what you are talking about, and you are complimentary about the beer, it's not too difficult to find out how/where it is brewed, if it is onsite or not, and by who......

Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
fastricky

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sure, if you take the time to visit the brewery and chat up the folks there...

Old 11-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
Sure, if you take the time to visit the brewery and chat up the folks there...
You mean the knowlegable and friendly bartender actually. If they are into beer, as passionately as most of us are, and they genuinely like what they are pushing out, and you do, then not only will you get info, but maybe a few free drinks too. Again, it's going to be about the attitude, yours and theirs....Like I said, if it's good beer, it really doesn't matter if it's contracted or not. I think the only places that are going to be cagey, are the one's that are in it for the money, and don't care if their beer sucks or not, don't know what they're going, or think their poo has no aroma...but most genuine places are going to be above board about things. At least in my experience.

Quick Reply