Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What was your gateway?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
mikeosoft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What was your gateway?

Sorry if this is a re-post, but I'm wondering what was your gateway to becoming a hop-head?

Years ago when I started getting into craft bears I couldn't tolerate bitter beers (sad I know). Then last summer I picked up a 6pk of Sam Adams Noble Pilsner. I know it's not particularly heavily hopped (around 35 IBU), but it was light enough that the hops weren't overpowering to me and it had an aroma that I really liked. After that it was all over.

Right now I'm enjoying a Founders Centennial IPA like it was hardly hopped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I never liked BMC beers. Can't say I haven't drank my share, but even when I was young I preferred Guinness to Bud. If I have to drink American Lager, I go with Lone Star. I guess I have my parents to thank for turning me on to good beer early...like Guinness being a treat for my step dad when I was growing up. I was also lucky to have Shiner in Texas. It's weird, people who would be fizzy yellow piss drinkers anywhere else in the country love Shiner Bock around here.

That said, the first time I tasted a hoppy beer I was intrigued. I honestly can't remember exactly what that first hoppy beer was, but it was probably Sierra Nevada followed by Dogfish 60. I actually did not fall in love w/ SNPA until I started brewing and finally understood how fresh that hop flavor was. From there I was hooked. I eagerly seek out the hoppiest beers I can find now. I just finished a 102 IBU Hop Stoopid a couple of days ago and honestly did not find it that bitter. My brewing FIL says I won't be happy til I figure out how to make hops part of my grist!!!

I think Pliny might just be the best thing I ever put in my mouth...wait...the best BEER I ever put in my mouth...wait...the best thing NOT attached to SWMBO I ever put in my mouth

I am now and forever a die hard hophead

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

$5 pitchers at a local bar that had 75 taps. I was in my early 20s We got whatever was the 5 dollar beer of the night and the rest as they say is history. I remember Victory Hopdevil and Middle Ages ImPaledAle

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I remember drinking a Stoudt's American Pale Ale and thinking it was the most bitter thing I'd ever had.

Now I throw back Nugget Nectar and anything Stone and triple IPAs like they're water.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Longhammer IPA was the first hoppy beer I liked. I was always a staunch, "I'm not one of those hop-heads!" kind of guy. That beer one night changed my world.

While I still prefer a lot of hop flavor without excessive bitterness (I add all my hops to my pale ale in the last 10m), I still crave that crazy, over-the-top bitterness about twice a month. I rarely buy Longhammer anymore, though, because now it tastes...well...tame!

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

SNPA was the first craft beer I had (second beer overall, started off with Guinness Draught). I think the first IPA I had and liked was Lagunitas. I remember having a double IPA at a local brew pub in Monterey and wasn't too fond of it. Not sure how long it was after that when I had the Lagunitas though.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've tried too many beers. I knew what an IPA was before I had one. But I can't remember not liking bitter beers and hops. I don't remember what it was but I instantly loved my first IPA. I tend to prefer big bold flavors. Heck, I've eaten acorns and can actually taste the nut through the bitter. No, they're not poisonous. Just full of tannins.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2203 Times on 1919 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

^^^Yeah,you gotta soak them to get the tannins out. Acorn ale,anyone? Might be interesting as a fall ale...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
BigJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good ole Shiner Bock was my gateway to good beer. I used to think it was the greatest beer ever. Now I get it whenever I visit the fam in TX, and although it's no longer the greatest beer to me, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

I always knew there wad more to beer than BMC offered. I would occasionally drink Sam Adams or go to a brewpub for dinner but I always just went back to Bud. Until one night I saw Bell's Best Brown on special while out for a friends birthday. The next day I bought 6 different Bell's beers and never looked back.

Quick Reply