What is your fuel source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your fuel source

• Electric

• Propane

• Natural Gas

• Woodfire/Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

fbaillargeon

Reaction score
I use propane on an outdoor burner. I use a heat stick to give it a boost (used to brew on my electric stove before)

i'm using electric stove top, but do know i'm getting a turkey fryer shortly. they are on sale at Canadian Tire and my wife hates the smell on brew day.

I use my propane turkey fryer (outside) for my brews. I keep wondering if NG would be easier, but haven't switched yet

Using propane, but really trying hard to go electric to save on fuel costs. The 210,000 BTU burner we use sucks down propane!

Using propane, but really trying hard to go electric to save on fuel costs. The 210,000 BTU burner we use sucks down propane!

I found out that 60 000 is enough for me. Only time it choked(and I say that with a grain of salt) was when I brewed in january. And I was able to boil even though I was doing it in -25C weather. (-13F)

It was worse for me than the kettle really.

I found out that 60 000 is enough for me. Only time it choked(and I say that with a grain of salt) was when I brewed in january. And I was able to boil even though I was doing it in -25C weather. (-13F)

It was worse for me than the kettle really.

We used one in that range, but found that it wasn't beefy enough once we went from a turkey fryer pot to a cut keg for the kettle and MLT. And now we can almost guarantee that we'll blow through most of a standard propane tank in a single brew day. That's around $20 per brew, which is a lot of money to add on top of ingredients and equipment costs.

I heat strike water/sparge water on my natural gas stove in the kitchen. I usually brew about 10 feet away in the garage (with doors open), so it's relatively close. The timing is actually pretty good. By the time I've got everything set up and ready to go, my strike water is ready. Then I throw on my sparge water and that usually hits temp right as I'm doing the first vorlauff. Then I use propane for the boil.

If I ever build a brew stand, I'll probably go all natural gas for that, but that would mean moving to the back yard for brewing and that has the horrible trade off of no shade in the summer and even colder in the winter. So, not sure I'll ever get around to it.

I just made the the transition to my new electric system yesterday. It's awesome having a dedicated electric setup, it made brew day so much easier.

I do full volume BIAB. I heat my water to strike temp using an electric heat stick. Then boil using propane. Unless, I am brewing the same day I am getting my equipment out, then I am all propane.

Good old Propane! Just filled up my 20lb cylinders today and the cost of propane at my local southern states is down to $2.55/gallon! I filled 2 empty 20 lb cylinders for $11.70 each! That's not bad considering I can brew about 35 gallons on one cylinder AG!

BIAB here also. Propane burner for heating, mash control, and the boil. I have a stainless colander at the bottom of the kettle during the mash, should I need to fire the burner (which I have yet to have to do).

All propane. Been thinking of going electric so I could brew indoors but limited to 110v and don't want to wait an hour or so to get things up to boil

Back