Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What was your first "perfect" beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
timrox1212
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

Default What was your first "perfect" beer?

After 1 year of brewing and about 20 batches I finally made my first perfect beer (aka I personally wouldn't change anything about it) it was an IPA I brewed using the DFH continually hopped method like 60min but with different malts and hops. What was your first "perfect" brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

"Perfect" is always a work in progress. "Repeatable" is my benchmark for perfection, in which that great beer you brewed can be re-brewed consistently and repeatedly.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
timrox1212
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

Ok fine then what was your first repeatable recipe?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 100

My first "wow this is way better than anything I've bought in a store" moment was my Lake Walk Pale ale (recipe by HBT's one and only "Dude"). I can only hope that it's as good the next time or ten that I make it.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I have been brewing for 2 years 3 months and have made some truly great beers. I would not say any were "perfect". Even the best I made could be changed a little and I would have another best.

My favorites so far were a brown ale, a Scottish Wee Heavy and my version of John Palmer's Elevenses.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
mrdauber64
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGrylls
My first "wow this is way better than anything I've bought in a store" moment was my Lake Walk Pale ale (recipe by HBT's one and only "Dude"). I can only hope that it's as good the next time or ten that I make it.
I was just going to say this one as well. This was easily my favorite beer. It helps that my favorite style to drink and brew are pale ales. I have since brewed a couple other great pale ales but this was my first.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 829 Times on 581 Posts
Likes Given: 109

also been brewing for a little over a year, 12 batches.

#12 is first pilsner, first lager, first co-brew, first decoction. still lagering, so don't know how it has turned out yet

#11 is my best so far. it started as a Devil's Backbone 8 Point IPA clone, have brewed it twice, having come nowhere close to an actual clone, it is a very tasty brew.

First time it wasn't hoppy at all, but had an awesome malty character, so called it an OK American amber. 2nd time, I kept the grain bill exactly the same, added another hop one of the DB brewers said I was missing, & moved the rest of the hops more towards the end. I also kept better temperature control on the fermentation and it turned out great. again not an IPA, not a clone, so call it a really good American pale.

next time I brew it, end of November, same grain bill, push hops further towards the end, we'll see how it turns out

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
What was your first perfect beer?
The next one.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

People Like This 
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Everyone thinks they make "perfect" or at least "great" beer. Kind of goes with that territory. The eye of the beholder thing.

For me, heaven in a glass was an IPA with garden hops four years ago. The judges agreed and gave me a 48. I probably will never score that high again, "only" 44 two years ago with a barleywine, and 43 last year with an american stout.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've brewed relentlessly this past year. Got started brewing on new year's day this year, and to say the least, it is my love, my profession, and my obsession. Averaging a batch a week at home, I also work for a micro brewery, making about 100bbls a week on average there.

My first perfect beer I brewed back in april. It was this off the cuff idea of brewing a sangria inspired pale ale. Something with a wealth of wide ranging fruity qualities. I originally thought of adding a bunch of different fruit zest to the beer, but I went with a more traditional recipe. The grist was 2-row, munich, crystal 40, hopped with sorachi ace, motueka, citra, nelson sauvin, and mosaic. I shared it with many people at a big party we had at the brewery, and it was really fun hearing everyone describe the beer. It was a total success, so many people came up with such different fruit descriptors. It was a serious confidence boost for me as a brewer.

In contrast to that which recipe, which was the pilot batch (!), I've been slowly tweaking an esb recipe since february, and I think I just finally nailed it 6 batches later.

My biggest problem is getting a beer to clear, I really need to invest in a fridge/freezer to use for crashing beers before they hit the keg. At least pretty soon I'll have the near freezing temperatures in my garage to provide the free option for crashing beers.

Quick Reply