New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What was your first brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #61
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Mine was a can simply labelled "Dogbolter." It had the hops already mixed in, and came with a dry yeast pack. This was around 1989.
Cool!

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #62
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Back in the late 80's Papazian's book was about all I had, and my first beer was a simple extract pale ale attempt. I don't even remember the yeast or any details. I do remember that when I went to stick the airlock in the top of the bucket, I tried to force it and the grommet fell in the wort. I panicked and stuck my arm in there and grabbed it. I was sure it was ruined. Anyway, it being my first beer I designed a label and called it "Arm Sweat Ale", bottled it up and served it. My memory was it was pretty good, and my friends all laughed and drank it. No infection! Must have had a pretty clean arm. B-Brite was all I had to clean or sanitize anything in those days.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #63
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
Back in the late 80's Papazian's book was about all I had, and my first beer was a simple extract pale ale attempt. I don't even remember the yeast or any details. I do remember that when I went to stick the airlock in the top of the bucket, I tried to force it and the grommet fell in the wort. I panicked and stuck my arm in there and grabbed it. I was sure it was ruined. Anyway, it being my first beer I designed a label and called it "Arm Sweat Ale", bottled it up and served it. My memory was it was pretty good, and my friends all laughed and drank it. No infection! Must have had a pretty clean arm. B-Brite was all I had to clean or sanitize anything in those days.
Nice! You know, I think there is something lost from those days. The internet is both a blessing and a curse... if you had had HBT at the time you would have been all over the forum, "Did my nasty arm ruin my beer?! HELP ME NOW!" (Ok, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but we have all seen those posts). We had Papazian, our LHBS and maybe a few friends in local clubs... we shared ideas in a very outlaw/underground community kind of way. In some ways the beer now may be better, but I still get nostalgic...

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

spearko520 Likes This 
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #64
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Brewers best robust porter kit. Came with canned LME. Came out meh but I have been hooked ever since.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #65
Johnnyhitch1
Crawl Space Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post

I only primary fermented for 10 days and then bottled. I also fermented too warm but the beer came out good for a first attempt! All 50 bottles were gone in 2 weeks!
haha same exact experience...really like that brown

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: All out Riot DIPA, NZ Brett 2014
Aging: Oud bruin w/ ECY02, Brett Oatmeal Stout, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #66
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mine was Brandon O's Graff. It came out pretty delicious, used some local organic cider! I was scared I was going to be banned from homebrewing because of the multiple boil overs on our new glass top stove! It may of worked in my favor since the wife approved the purchase of a turkey fryer for some good outdoor full boil action!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #67
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

1982. $6 bought 2 cans, 1 5# bag of sugar, and made 10 gallons. Makes a decent beer. I can still find the cans in the local grocery stores but they are $7 now.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #68
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewer's Best Witbier

On a side note my first beer ever was a Miller High Life tall boy. The high life will always have a place in my heart

Next Up: Trippel

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 06-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #69
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 16

6 lbs of Amber DME, 2 oz Cascade, 2 oz of Centennial, and a smack pack of 1968. Recipe was out of Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing, but I added extra everything.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #70
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar

Nice! You know, I think there is something lost from those days. The internet is both a blessing and a curse... if you had had HBT at the time you would have been all over the forum, "Did my nasty arm ruin my beer?! HELP ME NOW!" (Ok, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but we have all seen those posts). We had Papazian, our LHBS and maybe a few friends in local clubs... we shared ideas in a very outlaw/underground community kind of way. In some ways the beer now may be better, but I still get nostalgic...
Ha! No doubt, it was different then, totally agree.

Quick Reply