Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is your cost per pint?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #51
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

5 gallons for about 20 bucks, life can be cheap!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #52
johngault007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love making beer because I love beer. But, I do like to see my (simple) batch-to-batch costs more for peace of mind that I'm spending less than going out and drinking it in a bar. Mine is averaging .40 to .60 cents a pint.

Bringing it more off topic, because it's fun:
Of course, there are all sorts of costs, and I'm surprised no one tried to bring in the costs of their wives/significant other's as a cost when they leave for the day to go out shopping. If I did that I'd stay in the red every brew day by at least $60.
So, I choose to keep it simple and enjoy my beer.

Kegged: Concussion Red
Upcoming Brews:Moneypenny IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (w/cherry)

Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #53
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 791

I don't mean to be pedantic, but this is kind of a pedantic topic isn't it?

But the question is cost per pint. Doing an amazing job of figuring out cost per bottle, is not apples to apples. I can do the math, but I thought I'd point out that the OP asked:

Quote:
What is your cost per pint?
To the poster above: I am both impressed and inspired by your awesome spreadsheet. I can make my own, but if you care to share, please PM me?

Thanks..and sorry for being pedantic.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 100 batches and counting (as of 10/27/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #54
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Don't waste the money:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/

sorry for the double post!
Yeah, belgian candi sugar is expensive to buy and probably not as good as what you could make. Thanks for that link, I've definitely considered doing my own candi sugar and that's a good summary.

Even buying grains in bulk, I don't see how people are getting under $20 for a 5 gallon batch unless you are reusing yeast.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #55
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Based on cost of ingredients... I can make a mild for about $0.17 a pint. Rinsed yeast, $40 sack of British pale malt, bulk or free hops - it's pretty good. I should add that my lease has free water and the introduction of weekly all grain brewing hasn't raised my natural gas bill a cent. Slightly higher than that if you count in equipment and the like. Of course, 40 or so batches in on my current equipment and I think I've paid it off. $40 for a pot, ~$60 for cooler and fittings. However, I am now thinking about building an electric brewery which would throw the whole equipment thing way way off.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #56
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Yeah, belgian candi sugar is expensive to buy and probably not as good as what you could make. Thanks for that link, I've definitely considered doing my own candi sugar and that's a good summary.

Even buying grains in bulk, I don't see how people are getting under $20 for a 5 gallon batch unless you are reusing yeast.
I´m going to break down a recipe cost (i buy in euros most of the times but prices are in dollars and quantities in kilos 2pounds: .09 kilos)

23 liter IPA (a little over 6 gallons:

4.5 kg of pale malt.......................$5
0.5 kg of diverse cristal malts.........$1.45
1 kg (munich or vienne).................$1.8
0.3 kg of table sugar.....................$0.3
1oz of high alpha hop for biterring....$1
2oz cascade................................$1.9
2oz centennial.............................$4.5
1 oz summit.................................$0.8

total grains+ hops: $15.75

yeast: from a plate or slant cost of making one slant...around $ 0.15,
Dme wort needed to step up from a single cell colony: $....1.5
Miscelaneos¡us (caps, wirfloc, chemicals for water, sanitizers and cleaners) no more than $1.5.

total cost: $18.90 ad that $1.10 for electricity. And there you go $20 for 6 gallons IPA (that will give around 5.6 gallons bottled)

Of course this is made up recipe that I´ve never brewed but the cost are even a little higher of real cost, I´m acounting for shipping costs as well, and this are of things I have in stock..., you can definitely brew a beer for less than $20 a pale ale will cost less in hops, or you can make a bigger IPA and spend more.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #57
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

Looking at the cost of the pm pale ale kit I brewed last time,I get 53c per bottle. Depends on costs for the batch vs how many bottles.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #58
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
But the question is cost per pint.
I'm guessing most of us are actually computing our cost per "beer" which is usually 12 oz. If you're bottling - it's almost always 12 ounces. Most of the "pint" glasses that we collect are also usually 12 oz glasses. It's really hard to find a real pint here in the US.

My costs stated were per 12 oz pour.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #59
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I'm guessing most of us are actually computing our cost per "beer" which is usually 12 oz. If you're bottling - it's almost always 12 ounces. Most of the "pint" glasses that we collect are also usually 12 oz glasses. It's really hard to find a real pint here in the US.

My costs stated were per 12 oz pour.
???? I'm thinking most of these are actually "Cost per pint". And I'm not feelin' ya at all on the "it's really hard to find a real pint here in the us" either. The standard US pint glass is 16oz. Maybe you're confusing imperial pint glasses (aka, continental pint glasses) with US pint glasses? The continental/imperial pints are actually 20oz glasses designed with room for head on the beer.

Standard US Pint Glass used:

Edit: it's all good, I just think if half this thread is 16oz costs (like mine were) and half is 12 oz cost (like yours were), then we're obviously not apples to apples comparing our costs. My cost per 12oz is (obviously) 25% less then my cost for a pint.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 100 batches and counting (as of 10/27/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #60
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I keg, so I just figured out how much I get out (typical batch is 6 gallons into serving kegs) and ran the numbers that way. IMO, it doesn't matter, as much, about your glass size. If you're bottling, it just sucks since you're locked into 12oz bottles, getting ~11-11.5 ounces of beer into each glass (after figuring out what you lose to sediment in the bottles).

When I did bottle, most of my brews went into 16oz Grolsch style bottles. Some batches also used the 750ml Belgian bottles. I only used 12oz bottles for small parts of a couple of batches (ran short on the other bottles, at my brew-buddy's place). I've occasionally filled those off of tap/keg, but I'm getting away from that too. I'm more inclined to fill the 16oz bottles, or bring one of my [new] 1 gallon kegs of home brew with me.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply