Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is your cost per pint?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
pwkblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default cheap

I have purchased most of my equipment used...with 20 batches done, I think it has been paid off. I brew all grain, utilize a frequent customer discount at my LHBS, and farm/wash yeast... I have been as low as $12/5 gallon and as high as $28/5 gal, but most styles I enjoy are in the $16 to 18 range...easily under $.50 each....for decent to excellent craft brew that would cost $1.35 to $3.00 per bottle in my local Utah State Liquor Store.

I do drink beer more often now...but that is more than offset by how much less i drink wine and hard alcohol....so another savings.

Looking at it in another scale: I typically spend $20-$25 per week (or every other) at my LHBS, and visit the liquor store at most 1 time per month for $30ish...total $100ish per month...AND I have built up 200+ bottles of beer in my cellar...and give away quite a bit more. Before brewing my alcohol spending was much higher...my enjoyment lower. Seems like a good way to spend my spare time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #42
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I'll be the first to say that it is mathematically impossible to calculate my cost per beer of homebrew. Since my first batch is still sitting in that magic bucket, if I were to attempt to crunch numbers I would have to divide by zero. As we all know, trying to do that makes planets explode.

I started homebrewing because I love beer, I love GOOD beer, and I want good beer all the time. I've had some of the greatest microbrews in my life at places that are thousands of miles away and impossible to get here.

Plus, how good do you guys feel when you give someone a beer and they say, "Damn, that's a good beer!"

/waxing philosophical

Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #43
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

don't know and happily don't care!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #44
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There are definitely different facets to homebrewing. For the people who treat it as a hobby (depends on what you mean by hobby), it's a place where your disposable income goes. If I had to scrape by to keep in me in beer, I'm sure I could do it. It just wouldn't be as fun. I mow my own lawn to save money but I wouldn't call it a hobby.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #45
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now that I buy most of my base malts and hops in bulk, I'd say around $0.55/pint for an average gravity/hopped beers, up to around $1/pint for a high gravity IIPA with a pound of hops in it.

I could get my costs down a bit more if I could reliably wash my yeast, but I always end up racking my beer during a brew day and I'm usually too tired/lazy to wash my yeast.

As others have noted, this definitely does not account for equipment and other "fixed" costs. E.g. I never would have purchased a kegerator had I not started brewing my own beer. And, brewing my own beer has further opened my eyes to the vast array of craft beers out there, so I almost certainly spend more per beer on commercial beers than I used to.

In any case, it'll be a long while before I break even. Fortunately, I love the hobby, so I'm not really trying to save money.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #46
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso191
Lets see... $3,873 on brewing expenses since I started in June. 15 gallons brewed... That would be $32.28 per pint.

Steve
Wow! Hopefully your investment pays off in the decades to come. Was looking over the $79 turkey fryer I started brewing with three years ago last brew day and I figured out that my kettle had contributed about $0.03 to my pint cost. My $60 cooler mash/lauter tun has had maybe 200 gallons run through it... That's something like $0.06 for my equipment amortization.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #47
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm typically at $28 for a 5.5 gallon batch of all grain. More if I'm adding something exotic like Belgian candy sugar. That's about 44 pints so $0.64 per pint. That does not include propane, water, soap, or sterilizer.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #48
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
There are definitely different facets to homebrewing. For the people who treat it as a hobby (depends on what you mean by hobby), it's a place where your disposable income goes. If I had to scrape by to keep in me in beer, I'm sure I could do it. It just wouldn't be as fun. I mow my own lawn to save money but I wouldn't call it a hobby.
very good analogy with the lawn mowing, I personally got into the hobby because I could not get the beers I liked at the time where I moved to and wanted to try replicating them at home. Well since then it has moved into obsession.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #49
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
I could get my costs down a bit more if I could reliably wash my yeast, but I always end up racking my beer during a brew day and I'm usually too tired/lazy to wash my yeast.
If I feel that way I just put the bung back and do it another day. Haven't had an issue yet.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #50
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
I'm typically at $28 for a 5.5 gallon batch of all grain. More if I'm adding something exotic like Belgian candy sugar. That's about 44 pints so $0.64 per pint. That does not include propane, water, soap, or sterilizer.
Don't waste the money:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/

sorry for the double post!

Quick Reply