Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is your cost per pint?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

largely dependent on style but anywhere from .20 - 1.00 /12oz. I did a pale with free hops and mostly base grain and reused yeast so that one was probably about .05/12oz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
I have in no way saved money by homebrewing. Not even close. Sure, if you hold consumption constant (volume of homebrew vs. equiv volume of commerical), homebrew is somewhat justified, but consumption isn't constant. Marginal cost of beer falls, therefore consumption goes up. Way up.

My total beer expenditure has increased significantly from before I homebrewed.
You make a good point. I drink more beer now than when I only drank commercial beer. The biggest reason why is that it IS cheaper than buying craft beer. I think you have to think of beer as food. Is it cheaper to make a meal at home or go out to dinner? Of course it's cheaper to eat in even if you factor in the costs of an oven, microwave, dishwasher, pots and pans, utensils, etc. The same holds true for homebrewing.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I drink more beer now that I brew, but prior to brewing, I was getting into drinking scotch and good wine. I promised to stop buying/drinking hard alcohol and wine when I started brewing, so in all, I'm certainly saving money, and my liver! I've never been one to feel "guilty" about pounding another beer though.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
This is why I don't understand why a lot of homebrewers think it doesn't save you money.
There are a lot of homebrewers that haven't maximized economies of scale (yet). If you're still buying extract kits and doing 5 gallon batches, you're not really saving (much) money over buying commercial.

On the other hand, based on prices posted here, it's easy to tell that most responses are from people who are doing all grain and buying grains and hops in bulk. Once to start doing that, costs go way down.

I'm at about .30 for pales and max out at about .50 for big IPA's.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not saying that the fact I don't save money is a bad thing. I enjoy brewing and really enjoy being able to drink larger quantities if beer. A good hobby that's a net cash outflow is just fine.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #26
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have to run more now that my beer consumption has gone up...guess I should figure the price of running shoes into my per pint cost

Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 714

I like giant IIPAs. 9+% and mine costs about a dollar per pint, counting grain (I buy base grain in bulk sacks), chemicals, C02, hops (also bought in bulk), and product losses...(I don't EVER get a full 5 gallons of drink out of a five gallon batch, it's usually more like 4.5G after losses to fermenter, kettle, gravity samples, the first pint of the keg is mostly yeast after I let it settle too).

My pale ale probably costs more like $.72 with all those things taken into consideration.

I think driving times brew times and cost per pints tend to get a little fudged tbh ;-)

Also, I couldn't agree more with Tytanium that my total beer expenses have gotten bigger since I started homebrewing, but a lot of that can be chalked up to just being a more avid beer geek and beer drinker. I spend MORE money at brewpubs now that I homebrew then I did before.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #28
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I like giant IIPAs. 9+% and mine costs about a dollar per pint, counting grain (I buy base grain in bulk sacks), chemicals, C02, hops (also bought in bulk), and product losses...(I don't EVER get a full 5 gallons of drink out of a five gallon batch, it's usually more like 4.5G after losses to fermenter, kettle, gravity samples, the first pint of the keg is mostly yeast after I let it settle too).

My pale ale probably costs more like $.72 with all those things taken into consideration.
Why don't you scale your batches up and do 5.5? I do 10.5 for most standard batches and 11 gallons for big IPA's with a lot of dry hopping. This way I ensure I end up with two full 5 gallon kegs.

$0.72 for an AG pale ale? You must be including equipment depreciation expenses.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 320

$0.50 / pint on average. A lot of people debate the "does it save money" thing. Truth is, for some it does and for some it doesn't. My consumption rate hasn't gone up since I started brewing. It did at first, but the newness has worn off now and I'm back to businiess as usual. I haven't quite broken even on my equipment yet, but after about another year, I'll be saving money vs what I would have bought from the store. Time is a different story, but I enjoy brewing.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Y'all make good points about increased consumption... I hear that. But the thread was about cost per pint (12oz, 22oz, growler, serving... however you wanted to measure it)

Homebrewing decreases your cost per beer over the long haul. This thread was asking by about those metrics, and I apologize if I derailed it a bit.

My cost is going around $0.95 a beer or so. And seeing that I'm trying to make beers that taste like ones I don't mind paying $8.00 or more a six pack... I'm saving some money there (but yes... drinking more beer. Happily

Quick Reply