New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What you like/dislike about brewpubs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
gruntingfrog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What you like/dislike about brewpubs.

I find that a lot of brewpubs that I've been to are far too similar in menu, atmosphere, beer selection, etc., so I have a couple questions I'd like to throw out.

-------------------------------------------
What do you like about a brewpub (other than the obvious, beer )?

What do you dislike?

Have you ever been to a brewpub you really didn't like/never went back to for reasons other than bad beer?

Have you ever been to a brewpub that was "different"? If so, what made it stand out?

Was it "too different"? Would you go back?

On a Saturday night, would you prefer to go to a brewpub and sit at the bar, or go to a bar with a lot of different beers you can get "anywhere"?

How about a Tuesday night?
---------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Last edited by gruntingfrog; 02-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 341 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I love going to brewpubs because they tend to have pretty good food, they're casual, tend to be family-friendly, and I love having fresh, local beer. No pretension. Staff's usually pretty laid back. Comfort food.

The one that I go to the most has sometimes had pretty mediocre beer on tap, but they've also had some great things, and they even made a rauchbier . I also love when a pub's got something on cask.

When I've been disappointed, it's been because they ran out of a lot of beer, and only had a handful of selections left (all of which were pretty similar; like, an APA and an IPA). But, that was just a pretty rare f*ck-up on their part.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Must be nice to have the option of discussing likes/dislikes of brewpubs. With none within an hour's drive, were one to move in locally I'd be slow to find any fault in it.

Rick

Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My biggest issue with brew-pubs is the price they charge for beer. I understand the business aspect and all, but it's funny when the beer off the tap cost more than a larger size bottle or growler they sell by the front door.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

-------------------------------------------
What do you like about a brewpub (other than the obvious, beer )?
in order of importance: food, atmosphere, beer

What do you dislike?
failures or shortcomings in the food/beer/atmosphere

Have you ever been to a brewpub you really didn't like/never went back to for reasons other than bad beer? yes, see above

Have you ever been to a brewpub that was "different"? If so, what made it stand out? yes

Was it "too different"? Would you go back?
nope, have gone back a few times

On a Saturday night, would you prefer to go to a brewpub and sit at the bar, or go to a bar with a lot of different beers you can get "anywhere"?
I don't really follow

Again, I don't follow
---------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
My biggest issue with brew-pubs is the price they charge for beer. I understand the business aspect and all, but it's funny when the beer off the tap cost more than a larger size bottle or growler they sell by the front door.
That's a great point. There was one that I went to that charged $3 to fill a growler (if you brought it yourself), but $4.50 for a pint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
I don't really follow
What I mean is when going out with your friends on a weekend night (you're not planning on eating, just drinking a 3-4 beers), would you go to a brewpub or to a "normal" bar with a decent selection of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Again, I don't follow
Here, I'm assuming that you have to be at work Wednesday morning so you're not going to drink much, but you and your buddies want to grab 1-2 beers.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 02-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

My favorite place's biggest problem is price. I can actually get a pint of their beer cheaper at a local bar than I can at the brewpub! The food ranges from pricey to ridiculous. I rarely buy anything other than an appetizer and those run $10-12. For $25, I can get two pints and a snack or walk out with a case. Go figure.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntingfrog
What I mean is when going out with your friends on a weekend night (you're not planning on eating, just drinking a 3-4 beers), would you go to a brewpub or to a "normal" bar with a decent selection of beer.

Here, I'm assuming that you have to be at work Wednesday morning so you're not going to drink much, but you and your buddies want to grab 1-2 beers.
In both cases, the beer selection would be a secondary factor, a plus at best....unless the group of friends is a group of BAs. I don't really have a day of the week difference since I need my license every day of the week

The successful brewpubs around here seem to work under the premise that they offer good food and atmosphere first with good beer as a bonus.

Last edited by brewt00l; 02-16-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
andypantz13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My favorite local brewpub has couches. Now this may not sound like that big of a deal on the surface, but I gotta say. Its pretty sweet when you just want to go in there and chill with some friends for a while. Its really pretty hard to beat sitting on a couch at a pub.

As for what I like in a brewpub, aside from couches, munchies are important. Maybe I don't feel like having a full meal or something, but being able to get some good fries for under $5 is a really big draw.

I dislike what I dislike in any restaurant, bad food, service, atmosphere, etc.

Never been to a place I wouldn't go back to.

First time I was in Triumph I was different. Here was a brewpub that had $25-$30 entrees that could rival most restaurants, I'd never seen that before.

Honestly, on either a Saturday or a Tuesday night I wouldn't really have a preference. Maybe if I knew one place had something I really wanted on tap, but that would be about it.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stumbling distance from my house there is a brewpub in downtown Burien - the food selection is pretty standard but reasonably priced and while their beer really doesn't stand out none is really bad. What I like is that they have two hand engines that feature cask conditioned ales from around the Puget Sound. I can sit down and enjoy a cask conditioned, dry-hopped DIPA from Maritime one day and enjoy something completely different later in the week. The casks go while they are still fresh and they keep their beer lines clean.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Quick Reply