Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What would you do? ...Disappearing Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default What would you do? ...Disappearing Beer

Before I go into this, I want to give some background. I live in a house in my college town. It is divided between our section, the ground floor and my attic bedroom, and a separate basement apartment. I have two roomates in our section of the house, and we all get along great. Our landlord is our age (early-mid twenties), lives in the basement apartment and is awesome.

I am on campus from the early morning until the late evening on weekdays so I am not around often during the day.

Now for the issue:

So I bottled a batch of high gravity Wee Heavy on Sunday. I have been aging this beer for almost 2 months. I left the newly filled bottles in the living room (shared space that the roomates were OK with me leaving the bottles there for a few weeks) to carbonate since my attic bedroom swing in temperature and is not a very good environment to store the bottles.

The landlord has had a HVAC crew here installing a new furnace and duct work, so they were all over the house the last few days.

So tonight I get home and notice that 7 of my big bottles were missing from the milk-crate they were stored in. The bottles ranged from 22 oz to 1 Liter in size. I talked to my roomates and they hadn't moved them or done anything with the bottles.

So this leads me to believe the HVAC workers took the liberty of nabbing some of my large, de-labled bottles filled with uncarbonated Wee Heavy meant to be aged until Christmas.

I am really at a loss on what to do or how to react. I mean if they had asked, I would have gladly given them all the beer they could handle THAT WAS READY FOR CONSUMPTION. Instead I lost a bunch of my best bottles, a bunch of beer they would surely not enjoy, and 3 months work meant to be saved for another 2 months. What would you all do?

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If they're still working, I'd leave a bottle of poison. Mark it "best beer ever!" and see if they take it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
beersteiner2345
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hire them to do more work, and bottle 12 big bottles of epsom salts (laxitive) and leave them in the open.

I hate thieves.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sadly those suggestions will more likely get you sued than anything else. This is no different than any other time you have contractors in the house. Move the stuff into a closet or something. I would report the theft though I doubt much would be done about it since it is in a semi-public place (considering the roommates and whatnot) but at least it would get the word out.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Well one of the roomates on this floor has been out of town for the last week, and the other guy I am pretty close with. He said he noticed this morning on his way out to work that the milk crate seemed much more empty. So it put the disappearance at yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from the landlord since she has been out tonight.

If she doesn't know anything more about it I plan to ask the guys for the beer back. For all I know she could have thought it was one of the batches I left open for the house to drink to free up bottles. If that is the case then I can just chaulk it up to an honest mistake!

I really want to make absolute sure it was the HVAC guys who are responsible before I act on anything. If I can narrow it down to them without a doubt, then I plan to ask the workers tomorrow to return the beer. If they refuse I am going to call their office to get in touch with one of the owners or something. If they refuse to do anything I will check with BBB to see if they are accredited or something more drastic.

Little did they know how poor the timing was due to all the free time I have after having 6 exams last week

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Poop in the duct work?

_

Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Along with the above suggestions, I'd bottle some piss.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

tpitman Likes This 
Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy
Along with the above suggestions, I'd bottle some piss.
*Insert BMC joke here*

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
dirtdigger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
*Insert BMC joke here*
You already did, nice!!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Bumbler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The fact still stand you don't know who took the bottles of unmarked substance, and probably never will. Without direct proof I would be very careful about calling the HVAC shop and accusing the contractors. Why would they risk their jobs over steeling a few bottles of home brew?

Quick Reply