Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > what would you do (defective bottles)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
BoomerHarley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default what would you do (defective bottles)

So a while back I bought a bunch of these fliptop bottles: http://morebeer.com/view_product/15635/102304/Bottles_-_16_oz_Swing_Top_12

I used them to bottle some sour ales, parts of three different batches. If you know anything about brewing sours, you realize they take a lot of time and dedication. In my case, I had an imperial Berliner Weiss, and two sour brown ales aged on cherries and oak. The brown ales had been aging for about a year and the cherries were from the farmer's market. In short, these beers took a ton of effort.

Well as luck would have it, the goddam bottles didn't seal. In each case, I bottled a few with the fliptop and a few in regular crown cap bottles. In every case, the crown caps carbonated up and I had wonderful beer. However, not one of the fliptop bottles carbonated.

So yesterday i am in Morebeer and I mention it to the guy working. I get to the point in my story where I say "I bought some of these bottles" and he says "Say no more" and goes on to tell me that the latest batch of those bottles are defective and don't seal. He said he would gladly take them back.

BUT: they are still selling them. And quite frankly, considering the time and effort these ales took, I'm inclined to ask for more than my money back. I mean, they knew these things are defective and yet they continue to sell them without any sort of warning.

What are your thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think you have more self control than I do.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 405 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 323

First thing I would do is put a review up on their site - I noticed there are no reviews posted for these bottles.

And, yes, I guess I would feel the same way you do - especially considering they knew/or now know that the bottles have problems. Hopefully it is made right for you - not that your time and effort can totally be compensated, but within reason. My dealings with morebeer have always been very good.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Knowingly selling a defective product makes them legally negligent. Not that I would, but you could probably take them to small claims court and win your cash back as well as compensation for your lost brew, time, effort and possibly punitive damages. I agree they owe you more than just the cost of the bottles. IMO the bottles plus double the cost of ingredients for your lost brews would be satisfactory.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
DrakeSuperbus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Are you sure that they are still selling the defective ones? It is possible that they took the defective bottles off the shelves when they found out that they were broken, and have since replaced them with a newer batch that works.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus View Post
Are you sure that they are still selling the defective ones? It is possible that they took the defective bottles off the shelves when they found out that they were broken, and have since replaced them with a newer batch that works.

That was my thought too. I seriously doubt that any vendor would knowingly sell defective product. In this day and age bad reviews get around quickly.

It sounds like that got a batch of bottles and it took them a while to figure out that they were defective.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus View Post
I can't say for sure that they are selling them. But the guy said "The latest batch we got is defective.", they are listed on the website and they had them on display in the store. I didn't actually attempt to purchase them, but....

I tried to post a review. Three times. None of them show up.

Just to note, I love Morebeer. I am on a first name basis with most of the guys there. And I expect that they will take care of me. But I am a bit disappointed in this.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2239 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 4484

I seriously doubt they're selling the defected bottles on purpose. getting a good name as a HBS is about as aggressive as the craft beer business.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

that sucks... hopefully they will at least replace the bottles and the ingredients for the beers.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
MrMeans
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a set that didn't hold carbonation too well either, I replaced the gaskets and it fixed the problem. If its a defect in the lip of the bottle this probably wont fix it, but if they are just cheap gaskets (mine were BRIGHT red) it may help.

Always do drunk what you said you would do sober.

Quick Reply