Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What type of beers should I brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Zakit24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What type of beers should I brew

Hello beer brewing world.

Over the last month I have been reading up on home brewing and have been getting ready to buy my first brewing materials in October (when I finally move).

Until then I have been thinking about WHAT I will brew and I wanted to get your input on what styles I should try. Here is a list of beers I do and do not like to drink:

Like-
German and Czech Pils
Hefeweizen
Duesseldorf Alt Bier
Koelsch (but I like the Alt better )
Witbier
Schwartzbier!
Porters (when not sweet)
Stouts (when not sweet)
Helles
tend to like dry not sweet beers (other than the weizens)

Dislike-
IPA
Trappist
Bock
Octoberfest
or anything else that is too hoppy or too sweet

So with this information what type of beers would you recommend for me and which ones should I stay away from (maybe also ingredients). Also what characteristics seem to tie all my Likes together? I have always found it difficult to explain to people what characteristics I like in beer. I just know which ones I like.

Thanks for the advice and I will post an update once I brew my first batch...whatever style it may be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1450 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 616

I'd avoid the lagers at first (and maybe even the hybrids) until you get the hang of the basics of fermentation. I'd probably start with a hefe, wit, or stout myself.

Have you tried any saisons? They're among the driest of the beers that I've had, but they have a very distinct flavor.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
AlphaKing11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i am not being a smart ass.....but brew what you like and experiment. thats what home brewers do..you will screw some batches up.live and learn

Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Zakit24
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKing11 View Post
i am not being a smart ass.....but brew what you like and experiment. thats what home brewers do..you will screw some batches up.live and learn
Oh yea I realize that. I am just trying to figure out new styles of beers that I may like and be able to describe my taste properly. I don't want to only stick to the biers I know I like, but I also don't want to brew 5 gallons of something like an IPA and end up not wanting to drink any of it (even though the brew is fine).

Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

At this point I'd say any type of wheat bier,even though this does cover a pretty wide number of styles. Some brewing sugar added will dry a kit up a bit. The cooper's brewing sugar,for instance,is 80% dextrose (corn sugar),& 20% maltodextrin for more mouth feel.
The porter could be to your liking if treated the same way. But pale ales with English style hops might be to your liking as well. Or an English Bitter,which has a bit bitter finish,& low aroma/flavor hop profile.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2118 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

I second the wheat beer suggestion. They are easy to brew, and you can adjust the hoppiness to suit you. Plus they finish fast, so you can sample your fist beer sooner!

And don't even worry about lagers until you have a way to ferment at around 35 degrees F.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

try a mild.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

+1 for "Brew what you like." That's the whole point of homebrewing, after all.

However, being in FL and assuming you don't have a way to control your fermentation temperatures, I'd go with a style that would be OK with plenty of esters / phenols, 'cause you're going to get a bunch. From your list of "likes", I'd go with the Hefe or a porter.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1450 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
+1 for "Brew what you like." That's the whole point of homebrewing, after all.

However, being in FL and assuming you don't have a way to control your fermentation temperatures, I'd go with a style that would be OK with plenty of esters / phenols, 'cause you're going to get a bunch. From your list of "likes", I'd go with the Hefe or a porter.
I typically like my hefes and porters fermented on the cooler end, but that's a matter of preference (and a swamp cooler would take care of it anyway and that's cheap and easy to do). I brought up a saison for the same reason you describe, but I don't know what the OP doesn't like about "Trappist" beer as that's a fairly broad range, so that spicy goodness might rule it out.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Start out with maybe a nut brown then move to milds and bitters, then some lightly hopped pale ales, then try a hefe, then a Kolsch. Beers with a cleaner profile are generally harder to make and you need more control over fermentation temperatures. But really, just make lots of beer, pay attention to the ingredients that go in each batch, and keep careful notes.

Quick Reply