Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > At what temp would you consider your wort to be at a good "rolling boil"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
scottab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default At what temp would you consider your wort to be at a good "rolling boil"

Hey, I've made 8 batches so far and just trying to make my process better. I so far have done only extract partial boils and i want to make the best brew possible. What temperature do you boil your wort at and at what temperature do you consider it to be a "rolling boil"

I know i start to get a rolling boil at about 210 but would consider it a light rolling boil. I use a standard candy clip on thermometer when boiling my wort and it does not go very deep into my kettle. since it is only about 6" long only about 2-3" are in the boil. The kettle is a 3 gal all clad pasta pot, so i know the temps near the bottom will be higher than at the top. I do have one of the floating thermometers but don't use it since there isn't enough depth to float it in my setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Water boils at 212F, period.

Okay, that's a half-truth. It's true for pure water at sea level. Higher elevation means lower boiling point (at 3500' where I live, it's about 209F I think). Conversely, dissolving stuff - like sugars - in water generally raises the boiling point. But when it boils, it doesn't really get any hotter except maybe in some local spots within the vessel.

The key isn't temperature, it's the boil itself. Is it rolling? Percolating doesn't count. It should be turning itself over pretty well. Here's an example:

. . . though if you're low on head space in your boil kettle that might be a bit scary for you. The real danger is at the beginning when you get the hot break, as the foam really piles up until it starts to roll and really settle in.

Anyway, don't watch the thermometer. It's not a magic temperature, it's a function of how vigorously the liquid is boiling. In Denver, that might happen at 208F, in Seattle that might be 211F.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Here's a good boil temp...

Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
though if you're low on head space in your boil kettle that might be a bit scary for you.
Yeah i def need a bigger boil kettle

Old 08-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottab View Post
Yeah i def need a bigger boil kettle
I just got myself a 15-gallon pot yesterday. No more boil-overs for me!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 453

212 F (or lower based on elevation)

Once it gets hotter than that, it turns to steam.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Nohup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some of the brewing podcasts have gone into this. (My kettle can barely fit my batches, so I paid attention)

They all seem to agree, that as long as it's turning over, that's enough. One of them even noted that commercial breweries don't have big roiling boils going. Just a gentle, bottom to top rotation, with the occasional bubble, and a good amount of steam rising. Not a direct quote, but that's what I took away from the show.

I've done hard boils, and gentle boils, and I couldn't tell any difference.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've always hoped for a 250 boil, but, alas, have been stymied by science...every...single...time!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Boiling temp is boiling temp. Once your wort starts to boil it doesn't increase or decrease in temp according to the vigor of the boil. You can have a vigorous boil at 212 or a gentle boil, again at 212 (It's different for me because of my elevation). The amount of heat (energy) you apply to the kettle will determine the vigor of the boil. Basically the vigor of the boil is how quickly you are converting the liquid to steam. Add more energy and your get a more aggressive boil, but not a higher liquid temp.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
TheCatman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live at around 5500 feet, so my wort boils at around 204 F.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS