What Temp Do You Like Your Beer To Drink???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
Cracked open an APA that I brewed six weeks ago. I noticed it tasted much more full and actually better after it sat for a bit as opposed to real cold out of the fridge. Made me wonder if anyone else noticed this with their homebrews.

My Keezer is set at 42 degrees. It is usually 41 in there though. Works for me, but I'm thinking of dropping it a degree or two as an experiment.

My beer fridge is set at 45. Some brews I will even pull them out a while before I open them.

It depends a lot on the style. If I am feeling very disciplined, I will leave a style like an Imperial Stout sitting outside of the fridge for at least an hour before opening the bottle.

Home brews: normally between 45 and 55 degrees, depending on the style.

Or if you are talking about summer time and store bought "plain" beer, I like it "Ice-Cold" (I don't buy "plain" beer except in the summer).

From ice crystals just forming in it to about 45*. I wouldn't dump it at 50* mind you but I'd have to kill it and get another cooler one. Yeah, I know I'm a snob.

A few months ago, I was given a bottle of New Glarus Brewery's Oatmeal Stout. Dan Carey, the head brewmaster and owner, wrote on the label that it should be consumed at "cool room temperature." I tried it at that temperature and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then tried the same method with some of my homebrew stouts and porters. They have MUCH more flavor and character at temperatures warmer than the refrigerator. As has been mentioned, much depends on style.

glenn514:mug:

Usually my homebrews are best enjoyed in 40-45F range. Stouts are good in the 50's. I like my light cream ales and lagers colder, 38-42F.

Usually my homebrews are best enjoyed in 40-45F range. Stouts are good in the 50's. I like my light cream ales and lagers colder, 38-42F.

I never really put two and two together until I started tasting gravity samples. It's amazing how much more flavor you get out of a beer when it's just a little warmer.

I never really put two and two together until I started tasting gravity samples. It's amazing how much more flavor you get out of a beer when it's just a little warmer.

Indeed.

I made a brown ale that had a terrible off taste. I could drink one if I drank it from a mug out of the freezer but once it got warmer it was terrible! :p

My beer fridge goes from 43-46. None of my beers need be cooler than that, though several (big IPA's, stouts) need to be warmer. I let them warm for 10-15 minutes before drinking. Some people I know are big fans of frozen mugs and very cold fridges, but I think that leads to water stains and a longer wait until the beer can be drunk (drank? drinked?). Kyle

Back