Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What style of beer is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
NAVET
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What style of beer is it?

I was wondering if there is a web site or something out there to help me out. My SWMBO thinks I am nuts. When we go out, I will order a beer I have never had before, just because. The problem is 1) I am not sure what style some of them are and 2) I'd like to try some other styles but am not sure what some of the beer style commercial examples would be. Is there someplace out there with a "master" list of commercial beer makers and what style of beer they brew or a lsit of styles with commercial examples?

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

This is sort of the "bible" of style guides...

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

I dunno, but they might even have a cellphone ap somewhere for it.

It describes each style..the "numbers" for it like abv, ibu's etc, a little of the history, and lists many commercial versions of the style.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only problem inhave with bjcp is the style examples are limited. If you can look it up whole you're out, I would just google it. If not, go ahead and write it down. There are plenty of sites that will list just about everything.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There's an iPhone/iPod Touch app of the BJCP guide. Got it on mine.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about http://www.ratebeer.com ?

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

You might find this more useful: BA styles They also have a pdf. Both have commercial examples of each style.

Quote:
The characteristics of wheat beers make them great for summer drinking and many well-known American wheat beers are seasonal brews such as Bell's Oberon, Shipyard Summer Ale and Full Sail's Hangtime Ale.

Other breweries find this style so popular that they produce it year-around with examples that include Widmer Hefeweizen, Sierra Nevada Wheat, Boulevard Brewing's Unfiltered Wheat, Odell's Easy Street Wheat, Tabernash Weiss, Two Brothers Ebelweiss, Pyramid Hefeweizen, Brooklyn Brewing's Brooklyner Weisse, Summit Hefeweizen, Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat, Pyramid Apricot Ale

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply