Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is the reason that commercial beer is so much better on tap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
CaptYesterday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Turbodog would be an example of a beer that tastes completely different when served in bottle as opposed to on tap.

On tap it tastes delicious, with all of the flavors coming together nicely. From the bottle it tastes like syrup. Unless I've been getting bottles of severely underattenuated Turbodog, the only explanation I can think of is changes to the grain bill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I know this probably seems obvious, but I'll say it anyway since I haven't seen it mentioned. When you drink from a bottle do you pour into a glass or go straight from the bottle? That makes a huge difference. So does the temperature it's served at.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptYesterday View Post
Turbodog would be an example of a beer that tastes completely different when served in bottle as opposed to on tap.
This is a great example. Turbodog on tap is great, fresh at the brewery it is fantastic, but in the bottle it is not as good. I know for a fact that Abita pasteurizes the beer that goes into bottles and does not pasteurize the beer that goes into kegs.

Other than the pasteurize/not pasteurized reason, I think there are a couple other reasons draft tends to be better:
-The beer in the kegs has never seen light (even though brown bottles help this cause a lot).
-It is easier to handle kegs correctly. In my experience (at package stores, etc.) kegs are almost always stored cold, not on shelf under lights at room temperature.
-Kegs are a bigger investment for stores/distributors, they do not order pallets and let them sit around for months (or years) like bottles.
-It is also very possible that breweries have ways of purging kegs of oxygen better than bottles and depending on the headspace in the keg, there is a lot less room for oxygen exposure. Oh, and caps don't always keep all oxygen out.

I think recipe differences between draft and bottle are very much the exception, not the rule. You need to have a much larger capacity and demand (like SN) to be able to do this, it is essentially like having to brew 2 different beers.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was told a while ago that SNPA from a keg is brewed to be more of a session beer than the bottled counterpart. A bartender told me that one time, but who knows if it's true.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 07-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptYesterday View Post

On tap it tastes delicious, with all of the flavors coming together nicely. From the bottle it tastes like syrup. Unless I've been getting bottles of severely underattenuated Turbodog, the only explanation I can think of is changes to the grain bill.
I would bet my left nut that this is due to shipping and handling. I get DFH 90 in Vancouver that taste syrupy. I blamed it on age because it simply has to be better than that (otherwise why would all you guys want to clone it!!)

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I really think it's handling. I don't know about SN, but none of the brewers I've talked to brew different beers for kegs vs bottling.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
I think recipe differences between draft and bottle are very much the exception, not the rule. You need to have a much larger capacity and demand (like SN) to be able to do this, it is essentially like having to brew 2 different beers.
I would think that is probably the case. I believe I heard Grossman talking about this on either the Brewing Network or Basic Brewing Radio's coverage of the National Homebrew Conference. I think he mentioned that the ABV was different and that the tap version is closer to the original recipe that they developed.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #18
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think ambiance and effect are a bit part of it as well. Your perceived reality has a huge effect on your tastes.

Kegs do have several things going for them though. Bulk storage is more stable, less affected by temperature swings, and is completely concealed from O2 and light.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2813 Times on 2758 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I think ambiance and effect are a bit part of it as well. Your perceived reality has a huge effect on your tastes.
This is a very good point.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
Thats one beer I have noticed a difference in between bottled and on tap.
SNPA kegs say "draft style" or something along those lines right on them, pretty much stating that it's a little different. I'm pretty well versed in buying SNPA kegs.

Quick Reply