The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What percentage of your beer is homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 304

about 95%

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

About 85% is homebrew for me. The rest is either when I'm not at home or when I want to try some new or seasonal commercial brews for variety and research

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #33
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Maybe around 80% homebrew 20% commercial. I don't buy beer for regular drinking, just tracking down beers I really want to try. I don't get out of the house enough to drink a lot at bars but if I did the amount would definitely increase on the commercial side. My wife drinks more commercial beer but that's because I've made a few so-so beers this year working on experiments and I don't expect her to drink homebrew that she doesn't like. We usually keep a six pack of stuff for her to drink when I don't have any homebrew she likes in the fridge.

When I first started homebrewing it was all I would drink because I wanted to get through it all so I had enough clean bottles to brew again. Now I just drink what I want but it usually tends to be homebrew.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
whitebirdfeathers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

70% homebrew. I still love to try new brews and old favorites. The more beers I try the more I want to brew.

That's why I'm easy, easy like Sunday morning...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
DroolingNeoBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

about 75% homebrew for the most part its better. I do like to drink new offerings in the craft and premium import section at the liquor store but I hate that over 50% of what I pay for beer goes to the BC government. That's why I brew my own, the government needs to take there hands completely out of the liquor distribution business. Hops, malt, and yeast (including extracts and pre hopped kits) don't even have sales tax on them here, I like that. Other then when I buy new equipment the government doesn't get a cut of my beer!

Edit: The only beer I have had in Canada that is actually better then what I make at home is actually an import here. Dead Guy Ale from Rogue that is f@cking awesome! Though it really is more of a lager type beer (pacman is a lot like notty at lower temps very clean an neutral and highly attenuating). I intend to clone it

Next: Irish Red Ale, Mild, BC Pale, Scotch Ale, Helles, Pils
Planning: Bombardier clone (The real ale cask version, not that sh!te in the bottles)
P1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout P2: Pear Wine P3: Air P4: Oxyclean
Keg 1: Stout Stout Keg 2: Dead Intruder Mailbock
Bottled: Lots

Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #36
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah I would say about 98‰ homebrew. As was mentioned I usually only grab a few commercial brews if I need bottles.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #37
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanmh View Post
Once you get a pipeline going, there's really no need to buy beer from the store unless there's just something you want to try.
I don't agree with you or 95% of the posts here. I could be wrong but in my estimation, as an artist or craftsman, creating is only a small part of the job/hobby/lifestyle. Exploring what is new and being part of the community of a larger part of it. You gotta try other beers on a regular basis. Consuming your own beer is fine and well but it's odd. If you want to keep the hobby interesting, you must maintain a higher standard than your capability. Therefore, "research" as one poster called it... is a constant effort.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #38
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer

I don't agree with you or 95% of the posts here. I could be wrong but in my estimation, as an artist or craftsman, creating is only a small part of the job/hobby/lifestyle. Exploring what is new and being part of the community of a larger part of it. You gotta try other beers on a regular basis. Consuming your own beer is fine and well but it's odd. If you want to keep the hobby interesting, you must maintain a higher standard than your capability. Therefore, "research" as one poster called it... is a constant effort.
That all depends on your approach to the hobby- I've tried enough craft beer in the past to know what I like to drink and brew.

Just like a beginning painter you should go out to every art venue in your area and abroad and check out all the art you can. Once you've been at it a while you will develop a style of your own and not look as much for influence.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #39
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
That all depends on your approach to the hobby- I've tried enough craft beer in the past to know what I like to drink and brew.

Just like a beginning painter you should go out to every art venue in your area and abroad and check out all the art you can. Once you've been at it a while you will develop a style of your own and not look as much for influence.
Well said.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #40
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

About 30:70 Homebrew to Commercial. Definitely too low of a ratio. However, I suspect that it will be 70:30 once my 15 gallon setup is complete.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Quick Reply