Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are Norwegian breweries doing....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Priemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What are Norwegian breweries doing....

This is somewhat of a beer related rant.

The market in Norway is flooded with Pilsner. You cant get anything but that in 90% of bars, and even when you goto the import bottles in the fridge there its Pilsners from other places.

Now that wouldnt be so bad except for the quality of it. The most accesable Norwegian brands, Hansa, Aass, Rignes all make subpar pils, and also make, I suspect they legally have to in norway, Alcohol free versions.

Now, the main product, the 4.7% pilsner tastes aweful.

The alcohol free one has beautiful hop aromas with tonnes of spicy saaz coming through, and a nice balance malty and hoppy taste, not too bitter, just crisp. The beer is also brighter looking, and amazingly has better head retention.

What can they be doing so differently that the alcohol free product is far better in taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priemus View Post
This is somewhat of a beer related rant.

The market in Norway is flooded with Pilsner. You cant get anything but that in 90% of bars, and even when you goto the import bottles in the fridge there its Pilsners from other places.

Now that wouldnt be so bad except for the quality of it. The most accesable Norwegian brands, Hansa, Aass, Rignes all make subpar pils, and also make, I suspect they legally have to in norway, Alcohol free versions.

Now, the main product, the 4.7% pilsner tastes aweful.

The alcohol free one has beautiful hop aromas with tonnes of spicy saaz coming through, and a nice balance malty and hoppy taste, not too bitter, just crisp. The beer is also brighter looking, and amazingly has better head retention.

What can they be doing so differently that the alcohol free product is far better in taste?
I've just had a similar situation drinking a couple of na beers as well. I had a non alcoholic Labatt's beer that was so much better than the standard lager. And Clausthaler Amber tastes like some of the better vienna lagers I've had, including my own.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh good?

So its not just me. But it still asks the question, how are they managing to mess up the beers with alcohol in them? surly this is a less complicated process? dont tell me alcohol is ruining my beers :P

Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Look for Nøgne Ø beers, particularly if you like the American craft industry. They base their brewing largely on Pacific northwest styles and ideas, and I think they even did a collaboration brew with Stone.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do look at those beers, and drink them quite often, they arnt badly priced compared to the relative crap beers on offer in the super markets.

I just cant get over how the "big boys" in brewing here can make such tastly alcohol free beers, but offer such terrible mainstream product.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

They're expensive and hard to find here. But I haven't had one that I didn't like!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hehe, you havnt tried "strange christmas" annual christmas beer (one of several actually) where they just pick up the fridge in the break room and empty the contents into the whirl pool.

Some kind of rebellion against germany purity, or embracement of beer gezits. (if thats how to spell it)...

Either way, that beer is a little hit'n'miss from year to year.

Quick Reply