Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What malt to buy in bulk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 530

OK, I'm gonna scream if I don't say this....it's pretty much ALL 2 row! It might be pale, pale ale, pils, Munich or some other kilning, but pretty much all malt (not entirely all) malt we get is 2 row!

Thank you for your patience with my rant.......

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #22
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
OK, I'm gonna scream if I don't say this....it's pretty much ALL 2 row! It might be pale, pale ale, pils, Munich or some other kilning, but pretty much all malt (not entirely all) malt we get is 2 row!

Thank you for your patience with my rant.......
True, but as you know most maltsters differentiate between "plain", nearly flavorless 2-Row and the slightly darker and much more flavorful Pale Ale malt (along with all the other named malts). To minimize confusion we have adopted the same, admittedly odd nomenclature on the forums.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Maris Otter, I use that as a base in all my english and some of my american styles.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Maris otter and 2 row. Toast the 2 row to get some flavor or color.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #25
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Does anyone use 6 row? I tried it in a American lager that had a high percentage of adjuncts. Wasn't too thrilled with it. I believe it was from briess.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #26
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTrone View Post
Does anyone use 6 row? I tried it in a American lager that had a high percentage of adjuncts. Wasn't too thrilled with it. I believe it was from briess.
There's really no reason to use 6 row for distatic power. These days, 2 row is nearly equal to 6 row.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #27
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc64 View Post
OK, I want to buy some grains in bulk to save some money. My question is which one?? My house beer will always be some type of IPA or pale ale. So which grains do I buy in bulk! PS - just picked up a Corona Grain mill for $2 at a yard sale!!!
Start with plain Jane "2-row" (i.e. pale). For example, Canadian Malting's version is called "Canadian 2‐Row" and has an color range of 1.5-2.1. I've also used Briess "2‐Row Brewers Malt" (1.8 color), and quite frankly can't tell the difference. Note that the Canadian Malting comes in a 55# sack, the Briess and Great Western (called "Premium 2‐Row", 1.8-2.2) come in 50# sacks.

If you like English Style ales (including IPA's), Maris Otter is awesome. I've only gotten Thomas Fawcett MO, it's been great. It has a color range 2.3-3.0 but more importantly a somewhat nutty flavor and a more robust complexity. According to TF, it is still produced using their traditional floor malting process.

If I had to only pick two base malts, the above would be it. After that, consider things like Pilsen Malt, Vienna, and Munich (in terms of base malts). Oh, don't forget about wheat (malt and flaked) and corn (flaked) and so on.

What's nice about group buys is that everything becomes so much more reasonable that you want to try everything! (As I type this, I have over 300# of grains at home and just sent a check for another group buy and 12+ additional sacks of grain.)

Hope this helps.

Edit: Since you can't try everything, I've tended to buy grains based on the country associated with beer style. For base pale (2-row), Canadian is fine. When doing English, stick with TF or Bairds. For Pilsen, Vienna, Munich, pick one of the German ones (e.g Best Malz). I don't know if it makes a difference...but I do it.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Reason: Edit: Country of Origin

Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
rklene
Recipes 

Using 6 row for the first time today. Making a cream ale, and doing my first temperature mash.

Quick Reply