Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > what makes a stout milky and smooth?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Raffie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what makes a stout milky and smooth?

Looking around see lots of things I can use but not a real common one.

Maybe I have not looked hard enough but thought I'd ask it here since there is lots of knowledge in the forums.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's lactose....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Could be a variety of things- use of Carapils/Dextrin malt, flaked oats, higher mash temps that favor long chain dextrins, maltodextrine, etc.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Allow me to expand on Rev's short answer. If it's a 'milk' stout or a 'sweet' stout, then the brewer probably added lactose, which is milk sugar and is not fermentable by saccharomyces cerivisae. However, the broader answer is, long-chain dextrins in their many forms (beer yeast can't eat sugars with longer, complex chains). They can be achieved by mashing at higher temps (155-158f), it can be achieved by adding maltodextrin powder to the boil (which gives it a creamy, smooth, thick body without the lactose sweetness), you can add lactose powder, which gives it more of a sweetness, you can add oats (as in Oatmeal Stout) to the mash, and/or dextrin malt like carapils. Just depends on what you're going for. You should try a commercial example of a milk/sweet stout, though, to see if you like the style before you go by Revvy's answer and just start dumping lactose in your stout. Might be that you're not necessarily looking for a milk stout, and you might instead just need to add a bunch of maltodextrin powder to the boil.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Everything said in this thread is very valid, but one very important point has been overlooked: carbonation. If you carb a sweet/oatmeal stout over 2 volumes of CO2 it will begin to seem dry and crisp. If you follow everything that was said here and carb to about 1.5-2 volumes of CO2 you will get a nice creamy and heavy mouth feel.

I recently split a ten gallon batch of oatmeal stout with one of my local homebrew buddies. He took his keg and carbed it at the same volumes that he carbs all his american ales and what have you. He then told me how disappointed he was with the lack of creaminess in the beer. I was confused because we mashed pretty high and used 10% oats, but I hadn't cracked mine yet so I wasn't sure. Well I carbed mine to two volumes and it is fantastic, nice mouth coating viscosity and rich creamy texture thanks to proper carbonation.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Are you talking homebrew/micro bottled stout, or stout served on tap. If its the first, then everything above is valid. If its on tap, the carbonation is proably the main difference. Stouts are served on a percentage of nitrogen gas. This creates smaller bubbles and makes the beer silky smooth. The other factors help too.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Raffie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
Everything said in this thread is very valid, but one very important point has been overlooked: carbonation. If you carb a sweet/oatmeal stout over 2 volumes of CO2 it will begin to seem dry and crisp. If you follow everything that was said here and carb to about 1.5-2 volumes of CO2 you will get a nice creamy and heavy mouth feel.

I recently split a ten gallon batch of oatmeal stout with one of my local homebrew buddies. He took his keg and carbed it at the same volumes that he carbs all his american ales and what have you. He then told me how disappointed he was with the lack of creaminess in the beer. I was confused because we mashed pretty high and used 10% oats, but I hadn't cracked mine yet so I wasn't sure. Well I carbed mine to two volumes and it is fantastic, nice mouth coating viscosity and rich creamy texture thanks to proper carbonation.
How do you determine CO2 volume?
When I keg I usually hit my keg with 20psi while it ages, then when I tap I keep it at 9psi.
Am I doing it wrong?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie View Post
How do you determine CO2 volume?
When I keg I usually hit my keg with 20psi while it ages, then when I tap I keep it at 9psi.
Am I doing it wrong?
You can use a chart such as appears at the bottom of this page

Draft Beer Disp.

to find a combination of temperature and equilibrium pressure that will result in desired carbonation in volumes of dissolved c02.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

in addition to the above Force Carbonation & Carb Table

Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Evan! I've always wanted to add malto-dextrin to the boil, but I've never known a good ratio, and I've heard horror stories about adding malto, and creating a beer jello. I know it will vary on the recipe, but what do you think a good ball park range would be for a basic stout recipe...I was thinking somewhere around 4-6 ounces

Quick Reply