Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What makes a lager? Yeast, Grain or Cold Ferm?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
TheDeepDarkDerp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default What makes a lager? Yeast, Grain or Cold Ferm?

Hello everyone,

So It's starting to get rather cold in my basement this time of year and I just picked up an older fridge a few weeks back. So with that I'm at the point where I can start lagering.

My question is:

What really makes a lager so crisp and clear? Is it mainly the yeast, cold fermentation and lagering or does the grain bill play a large role?

I ask this because I'd love to make a Stella'ish clone but it’s very expansive for me to get the Pils malts most clones ask for. Could I make a crisp and clean lager using 2 row + crystal malts and using a lager yeast like Safalager 34/70. All while cold fermenting and lagering afterwards?

Any advice or personal expirience would be great!

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

The yeast. Lagers use bottom fermenting yeasts at cooler temps than ales & are "lagered" for a couple months as well. But I do make hybrid lagers with WL029 kolsch yeast & the ingredients typically found in lagers.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Mike_kever_kombi
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 138

As stated above lager yeasts are what make a lager. Lagering, or cold
Storage, will make for a clear(er) beer.

But that is not really what you are asking is it? You want to know if you can use cheaper ingredients than those listed in the recipe. The answer is no.

Can you use oatmeal and raisins to make a chocolate chip cookie? No. From a distance they may look the same, and they are both (good) cookies, but it will never be a chocolate chip cookie.

Same with beer. You can use different ingredients, but will get a different beer. You can still use 2 row and crystal with later yeast and produce clean crisp beer, but it won't be a stella

Primary 5: Graham's Apple Cider
On tap: Farmer's Daughter Saison, Belgian Golden Strong, Pale Ale
On deck: American Pils, KBS Clone, Robust Porter, Nut Brown

Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
TheDeepDarkDerp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_kever_kombi View Post
As stated above lager yeasts are what make a lager. Lagering, or cold
Storage, will make for a clear(er) beer.

But that is not really what you are asking is it? You want to know if you can use cheaper ingredients than those listed in the recipe. The answer is no.

Can you use oatmeal and raisins to make a chocolate chip cookie? No. From a distance they may look the same, and they are both (good) cookies, but it will never be a chocolate chip cookie.

Same with beer. You can use different ingredients, but will get a different beer. You can still use 2 row and crystal with later yeast and produce clean crisp beer, but it won't be a stella
That's a great analogy!

I guess I did not properly phrase my question. Almost all the lager recipes I see ask for Europen malts like Pils and Vienna. I wanted to know if I could still make a crips and clean finishing lager using 2 row with cold fermentation and lagering afterwards. As you said I can but it wont be the same.

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeepDarkDerp View Post
That's a great analogy!

I guess I did not properly phrase my question. Almost all the lager recipes I see ask for Europen malts like Pils and Vienna. I wanted to know if I could still make a crips and clean finishing lager using 2 row with cold fermentation and lagering afterwards. As you said I can but it wont be the same.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, use American ingredients and make a premium American lager.

THPTPTH!

Quick Reply