Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What makes a homebrewer advanced?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,211
Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
An advanced home brewer is somebody who can double decoction mash an authentic really good pilsner...Any jerk-o can make a pale or ipa.
A truly advanced brewer has brewed enough to recognize the myth of decotion....
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
OldWorld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 377
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Denny...most of the old world Pilsners still do a deoction. Is it because europeans are stubborn luddites? No...it is because they care about making the beer taste right.

You can go ahead and use highly efficient 2 row to make a pilsner style. But less modified grains mashed with more time and love always seem to produce a crisper, cereal like finish that can't be done if you rush it.

__________________
OldWorld is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,739
Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Advanced is the guy who's beer is better than yours.

That is, never attainable for yourself, but something that drives you toward perfection but you never quite achieve. And if you consider yourself to have achieved that, we have a different word for that...EAC.
I like this definition. Gotta keep striving to get better.
__________________
ktblunden is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,211
Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
Denny...most of the old world Pilsners still do a deoction. Is it because europeans are stubborn luddites? No...it is because they care about making the beer taste right.

You can go ahead and use highly efficient 2 row to make a pilsner style. But less modified grains mashed with more time and love always seem to produce a crisper, cereal like finish that can't be done if you rush it.
It's nearly impossible to find undermodified malt. In addition, tests I've done show that most people can't identify or don't have a preference for decocted beers. I use Best pils malt with a single infusion to make great pilsners. If anyone wants to do a decoction, be my guest. But I don't feel you shuld necessarily expect a superior beer.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PhelanKA7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 994
Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default

An advanced homebrewer is someone drawing social security and older than me.

__________________
PhelanKA7 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,330
Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
An advanced home brewer is somebody who can double decoction mash an authentic really good pilsner...Any jerk-o can make a pale or ipa.
Well, anybody that can follow instructions can do a double decoction. It's simple calculations. And anybody who can brew an ale can brew a lager. Making a great IPA isn't any easier, or harder, than a great German or Bohemian pilsner.

I think "advanced brewing" is something I'll never do and I'll never consider myself "advanced".

I'm always trying to learn or improve something, from newer malt varieties to hops growing, to water chemistry.

I mean, you can always make a BoPils with RO water (with a triple decoction if you want), and then make the same beer with a bit of calcium chloride added to it, and have a different beer. And then trying to decide which is more authentic, or which is preferable can be a bit of a learning experience in itself.

I learn something new all the time, so at this rate I'll never be "advanced"!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
5B-brewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
5B-brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
5B-brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lebanon, Oregon
Posts: 89
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

TyTanium- I like that definition. And I now know what EAC stands for! Does that make me one of the cool kids?

__________________
On tap: All taps blown.....
In Primary: SMaSH blonde, porter, Wit, American pale ale, and spiced cider

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone
5B-brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PhelanKA7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 994
Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Well, anybody that can follow instructions can do a double decoction. It's simple calculations. And anybody who can brew an ale can brew a lager. Making a great IPA isn't any easier, or harder, than a great German or Bohemian pilsner.

I think "advanced brewing" is something I'll never do and I'll never consider myself "advanced".

I'm always trying to learn or improve something, from newer malt varieties to hops growing, to water chemistry.

I mean, you can always make a BoPils with RO water (with a triple decoction if you want), and then make the same beer with a bit of calcium chloride added to it, and have a different beer. And then trying to decide which is more authentic, or which is preferable can be a bit of a learning experience in itself.

I learn something new all the time, so at this rate I'll never be "advanced"!
"Advancing" not "advanced", right?
__________________
http://beerismypassion.com
PhelanKA7 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,330
Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

You know what's funny? I consider Denny an expert, and I know others do too. I have watched podcasts with Denny and other brewing gurus, and respect and listen to what they say. I don't always agree with Denny (and we've "argued" over several issues including decoctions and FWH!) but I totally respect the science behind what he says. I also like the contributions people like Denny have given to us- working with the AHA, making batch sparging quick and easy for brewers, sharing experiences.

I think that's what is great about homebrewers- pretty open and we can learn a lot from each other.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
gpack Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,211
Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Default

Awwwww, you're too kind!

__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a little more advanced robbdmc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 63 01-10-2013 12:55 PM
For Sale - Advanced Set Up PirateBrewer For Sale 3 12-31-2010 06:10 PM
Gift ideas - from homebrewer to a homebrewer kunstler General Beer Discussion 13 11-11-2009 09:18 PM
What makes a happy homebrewer JoSeR Equipment/Sanitation 1 12-31-2008 03:05 PM
Local Homebrewer Makes Good (Did you say AB?) BierMuncher General Beer Discussion 13 04-14-2007 02:21 PM