The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What just happened !?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Am I reading this right? Fermentation was over, then you put the whole lot, blow off tube, catchment vessel and all into the fridge to crash cool it?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
Christian
Recipes 

I think the longest i have left a blow off tube on was a week, tops. But usually after a few days i take that thing off and put on an airlock. Tube doesn't need to be on there any longer.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Quote:
Am I reading this right? Fermentation was over, then you put the whole lot, blow off tube, catchment vessel and all into the fridge to crash cool it?
Yes, fermentation was already done. However, it was already in the fridge with a blow off. I just lowered the temp to 45 F (before that it was set to 68 F).

Thanks everyone for the replies I think I will just go ahead and rack the beer. The star san doesn't seem to have really mixed with the beer since I see a thik layer of cloudy liquid at the top, and the rest of the beer is clear as could be. I'm just a concerned because that starsan is pretty nasty. It's been in the jar for weeks, and is all cloudy.

I'm thinking about just transfering to the keg. I have a Better Bottle with the spiggot at the bottom, so I can probably rack most of the beer and stay clear of the top. What do you guys think?

Quote:
I think the longest i have left a blow off tube on was a week, tops. But usually after a few days i take that thing off and put on an airlock. Tube doesn't need to be on there any longer.
Yeah, I usually do the same thing, but I just left it hooked up this time thinking it could do no harm =/ Now I know..... . . .

Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I couldn't recollect at first which of the basic gas laws put your sanitizer in the beer, and I thought it was Boyle's.....looks more like Charles / Gay-Lussac's:

"For a given mass, at constant pressure, volume is directly proportional to temperature."

V = C2T

Equation of State

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply