What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3069.JPG

This happened today.

Bottled two batches that were brewed two weeks ago. A pumpkin ale around 5.5% and a holiday ale around 6.5%. Hoping they turn out well after bottle conditioning. Fingers crossed!

Legged a batch of dunkel for a buddy (we brew at my house and split 10 gal once a month) and legged a apa for me. Cleaned some car boys w my new homemade carboy brush drill attachment.

Went to Trustworthy Brewing in Burbank, CA for a brew day with LBHB’s Club. Beer tasting, professional brewing education, and 5 gallons of Barley Wine to ferment at home (29 Plato, 40 SRM, 180 IBU).

My batch is getting Irish whiskey soaked oak in the secondary.

Guess what Santa’s leaving in everyone’s stocking this year.

Just rehydrated 2 lbs of pale malt with 29 oz of distilled water. Planning to make some 10L crystal malt. It's sitting in the fridge in a Tupperware container. Once it absorbs all the water, around Monday, I'll mash it in my instant pot.
Just added the grain the instant pot to mash for 8 hours, no pressure, 153F, and keep warm afterwards.

Off to work....

Moved cider (I hope that counts?) to tertiaries - 1/2 batch is straight cider and 1/2 is pumpkin and pumpkin spice added. First cider ever, fingers crossed.
Also bottled 63 (can’t believe I got that many) bottles of Raspberry Tangerine pale ale, if it comes out nearly as good as last time I’ll be happy.

Doing some housecleaning so husband won't whine next weekend when I spend all Saturday & Sunday brewing here and at the boss' brewery. Also keep peeking at the 10 gallons of black lager I did yesterday...going strong and looking gawgeous.

You do anything special for the black lager? I'm always looking for a good black lager recipe.

Just racked 5 gallons of a Bock lager ... After 2 weeks of lagering Winter Colony will warm your heart.... cold night or not!
Pitched my Yeast Starter into my czech style Dark Lager last night seeing little bits of bubbles today around the edges earlier so hopefully a nice krausen in the morning! I bet your bock will be awesome!

What i did for beer today, had to think then realized...I just bought a foot of 12 guage .999 silver wire to weld a ring for my middle finger to give to ABInBev!

edit: and i just put 23lbs raw barley in the maltin tub to soak for a couples hours, because apparently they own Northern Brewer now too!

Last edited:
...but how'd you make a cylindrical vessel that'll hold itself off the pot pottom without a skeleton? I'd probly make my own but don't got the right gas to weld stainless, besides got a zillion projects going as is, fifty for a ready one isn't that much more than what the stuff to make my own would have cost.

My grain baskets are made from aluminum screen for pennies...

A 20 ft roll of screen was $6USD. Just, cut fold and staple.View attachment 596454

How do you like those fermenters that’s in the background? I want to get some stainless steel fermenters, I’m just on the fence as to which ones to get eventually.

Checked on my Dark Lager I brewed over the weekend to see if my harvested yeast from my previous lager would take off. I did make a 3 liter starter with it and I have never harvested yeast so I was worried after I didn't see much activity after 24 hours but at the 36 hour mark it took off like a rocket! I also voted [emoji41]
IMG_20181106_162022811.jpeg

How do you like those fermenters that’s in the background? I want to get some stainless steel fermenters, I’m just on the fence as to which ones to get eventually.

They're great. Anvil makes some nice fermenters. Cheap $129 each. They clean up easy and filling kegs are super easy. The pickup can be rotated for sediment free beer. The valve and pick up disassemble for easy cleaning. I have no complaints.

When I first ordered them, I got a valve with a buggered up ball seal. They overnighted one to me. I broke the buggered one apart, reset the seal and put it on my sanitizing bucket for sanitizing my keg filling cane.

There's a thread here in hbt dedicated to this fermenter. I'll find it and post it.

https://www.anvilbrewing.com

20181006_164617.jpeg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/636927/

Last edited:
A sample of my hybrid style beer I call the Bavarian honey hop bomb IPA. Half US 2 row and half German pilsner malt with bavarian ale yeast and half German and US hops with honey at flameout Abv 7.7%. it's done at 1.010 and taste delicious flat so I'm pumped! My local homebrew Club is doing free samples of our Homebrew on tap at one of the local beer festival's here to try and get members to join. I'll be dispensing samples of this there!
IMG_20181106_233559586.jpeg

Inoculated some Wyeast 1084 (Irish ale yeast from Guinness) and some of the bottle dregs from Fuller's India pale ale on agar plates. About to build starters from the plates & freeze some yeast with glycerol for long term storage, too. Probably going to pick up a bottle of Young's bitter tonight to plate it as well. There was a ton of yeast at the bottom of the IPA, compared to their 1845.

Cleaning the extract kettle/setup and fV's for the extract Lambic I am brewing tomorrow after work, then transitioning into a starter to step up for Sunday's brew. All I need to buy is grain for Sunday which is nice.

Also tasted the 9.5% saison that I have been bottle-carbing. It is fully carbed, beautifully carbed even, nice even head that seems to stick around and now the two cases go under the stairs to age a couple weeks a bit cooler. Every week I try one bottle and the fire from the high abv mellows a bit more, you get a bit more malt on the nose with the saison spice notes. This is a tasty one. Not sure I am a huge fan of using tons of malts and fermenting to bone-dry but the style is different from the norm and I like different. Mysterious and a high abv punch.

Kegged my bavarian honey hop bomb IPA. 7.7%. Then I'm going to wash and collect the yeast for another batch of German style ale later this month
IMG_20181107_161529963.jpeg

Last edited:
Dry hopped my partygyle beer from the American Barleywine. It was hopped with home grown Cascade and Chinook hops, plus some Sorachi Ace hops. So I dry hopped it with the same hops.

Popped the top to the fermenter for the first time and I have a feeling the Sorachi Ace that I have are more dill then lemon. ☹️

You do anything special for the black lager? I'm always looking for a good black lager recipe.

Not really, just messed with the hops a bit. Used Cascade and Chinook for bittering, and some Cascade at 30 and chinook at flameout. Just tasted it today, it's a bit weak on the dark malts (it is a second runnings session after all) but the hops came through as well as a good 'bite' from the lager yeast. It's going to get a nice long crash & lager for a week before kegging. Color is more 'nut brown' than black but it will do.

What i did for beer today, had to think then realized...I just bought a foot of 12 guage .999 silver wire to weld a ring for my middle finger to give to ABInBev!

edit: and i just put 23lbs raw barley in the maltin tub to soak for a couples hours, because apparently they own Northern Brewer now too!

That's right they sold out a couple of years ago. I haven't ordered anything from them since.

I have not heard of this yet; do I understand correctly that you are basically using a crock pot to do your mash?
Yeah my instant pot that has 1 degree temperature increments. So it works good for mashing. The range is 100F to 200F. It's an Instant Pot Ultra, 6 quart.

I'm mashing whole grain that's at 50% moisture content to change the inside of the barley kernel. Then it becomes crystal malt. I toast it after that to get the right color. This last time I just dried to make Carapils.

I'm NOT using it to mash a beer recipe. I'm using it just to make some specialty malts.

Last edited:
Washed some Bavarian ale yeast last night from the primary carboy got two 32 oz jars. Only been 12 hours in the fridge looks like I need to pour it into some smaller jars once everything settles out .
IMG_20181108_121953758.jpeg

Kegged up my pumpkin ale. As I always feel necessary to mention, this is a beer brewed for others; I'm fine after just having a few pints out of the keg.
Did it late in the season so there's some left for visitors we have coming the first weekend of December.

Inoculated a small liquid culture (5-10ml) with Wyeast 1084 to build a starter for the red ale. Fuller's bottle yeast is growing on the plate, too, but it always takes longer to get going so the colonies are barely visible after 40hrs. Young's bottle dregs were plated yesterday so no visible colonies there yet.

Also fine tuned the insulation and build a new manifold to my mash tun .

IMG_20181109_174621867.jpeg

Back