Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What I did for beer today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Default What I did for beer today

This is a thread intended for anyone that does anything related to home brewing. You can post any thing you want as long as it was what you did today. What I did was make a Stout. If you made a chiller, brew pot, ordered hops, ordered grain, brewed a beer, made your first beer, whatever... what did you do for beer today?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice idea. So here is what I did for beer today... Checked to see if my White IPA had a stable FG, tasted my RIS to see if the Oak and Chili was coming through enough yet and swirled my IIPA gently to recirculate yeast. Since I work in a "LHBS" (part of a liquor store" I helped a newer brewer by swapping out his Coopers dry yeast with a better dry option for the style and helped a first time brewer diagnose his lack of carbonation issue on his first brew. Solution to that one, conditioned cold from the start... The when I came home, I made a "to do" list for the rest of the week for my beers; get oranges for zesting for White IPA, dry hop White IPA, get 1 more oz. Amarillo for dry hopping White IPA, add turkey baster full of Ancho chili "tea" to RIS, check all temps of 20 fermenting/conditioning gallons, and start Pacman starter for step-up for Rye IPA.

Now relaxing with 2 new IPA's; Rocky Mountain from Ft. Collins and Indica from Lost Coast, not a bad beer day. I love my job and beer...

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just checked in on my american wheat. It is happily bubbling away in the fermentation chamber though the krausen is starting to fall and it is slowing... right on time. Not much time to do brew-stuff during the week.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
dezman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChaney View Post
Nice idea. So here is what I did for beer today... Checked to see if my White IPA had a stable FG, tasted my RIS to see if the Oak and Chili was coming through enough yet and swirled my IIPA gently to recirculate yeast. Since I work in a "LHBS" (part of a liquor store" I helped a newer brewer by swapping out his Coopers dry yeast with a better dry option for the style and helped a first time brewer diagnose his lack of carbonation issue on his first brew. Solution to that one, conditioned cold from the start... The when I came home, I made a "to do" list for the rest of the week for my beers; get oranges for zesting for White IPA, dry hop White IPA, get 1 more oz. Amarillo for dry hopping White IPA, add turkey baster full of Ancho chili "tea" to RIS, check all temps of 20 fermenting/conditioning gallons, and start Pacman starter for step-up for Rye IPA.

Now relaxing with 2 new IPA's; Rocky Mountain from Ft. Collins and Indica from Lost Coast, not a bad beer day. I love my job and beer...
Nice busy day! I brewed up an amber and enjoyed some cali common that just carbed up.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
JasonToews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

picked up enough grain and hops to make 2 batches of a sierra nevada torpedo clone! and made a starter

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

read another chapter of designing great beers.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
read another chapter of designing great beers.
Picked up this book from the library before I had my first batch down, thought it would be like brewing instruction. Turns out it's useless for a noob! But I can see how it would be good for someone who, go figure, wants to design a great beer.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it.

Primary #1: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale
Primary #2: Pumpkin Ale
Primary #3:
Primary #4:
Bottled: Caramel Amber Ale, Dead Ringer IPA
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzycist View Post
Picked up this book from the library before I had my first batch down, thought it would be like brewing instruction. Turns out it's useless for a noob! But I can see how it would be good for someone who, go figure, wants to design a great beer.
Even if using someone else's recipes, the fundamentals are extremely helpful to understand how to make adjustments on brew day if your numbers aren't right. Not so much of an issue with extract, but critical for all grain, imo. But totally agree - probably not the first book you should read

Great thread idea -
Today I figured out that by simply removing the removable shelves in my mini fridge I have more than enough space for my 6g carboy. Boom - fermentation chamber. Can't believe I never tried that before.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've got in touch with a club member to order some hops together. Can't wait to get my hands on a lb of Citra! Checked my fermenter before work to make sure my light bulb(heat source) hasn't burned out. It's in the 40's today and will be in the 20's tonight.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Quick Reply