What hops would you put in a strawberry wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
I'm just looking to spice up my traditional "base" recipe for all my fruit beers. I typically use hallertauer.

What do you use?

:mug:
Jon

Noble hops are classic for wheat ales but American hops are good choices also. I would try centennial/citra/columbus for my wheat, but that's just me! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've made the Lemon-Lime Hef in the recipe section a couple times now. It calls for Motueka as supposedly its very citrusy. My LHBS didn't have it but I substituted Sterling for it and it turned out pretty good.

There are a lot of hops you can use in wheat beers to give them a kick.

But for a fruit beer, I'd leave the hops in the background. You want to showcase the fruit flavor, not have it compete with the hops.

Agreed about keeping hops pretty low. As for what kind, maybe something with a bit of a minty character? Perle, perhaps?

Strawberries add a citric acid tartness so keep the bitterness on the low side to avoid a bitter/tart thing going on. I personally use magnum for all my bittering additions. Belma hops have a strawberry kind of thing going on if you don't like the idea of using magnum.

Take a look at Perle. I used it in a cherry wheat this spring that came out very nice, still have a few bottles you can try

Back