The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What the hell is this? Infection? Am I making bread?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
LuvMyRedDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What the hell is this? Infection? Am I making bread?

I have something that I've never seen before. I pitched yeast about 17 hours ago (rehydrated Safale US-05 that looked healthy). Everything looked clear till just now. It looks like pieces of white bread are floating in my brew. They look exactly like pieces of white bread (no crust, just white). There is no film on the beer, or anything that I would recognize as mold.

Details:

This is an all grain batch. I used 17 lbs. of malted barley. The boil time was 70 minutes and it boiled hard as hell. Ten gallon batch. Supermoss at 15 minutes to the boil.

I haven't fished out any of the suspicious looking junk for a sniff or touch test. My immediate game plan is to leave it alone.

I don't see how an infection (other than yeast) could have happened this quickly. Somebody please tell me how to post pictures from my hard drive to this link.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't really need pictures. Your beer is fine and just beginning its ferment. Wait 12 hours and you will have normal krausen on top.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

can you post any pics?..................But i think its normal also

Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
LuvMyRedDog
Recipes 

It almost looks like the Supermoss got the flour that was in my mash to congeal, and now the yeasties are tearing that white messy jelly from the bottom of my fermenter.

Someone please tell me they have had this happen, and everything is alright, so I can relax.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on being fine. Sounds like a good fermentation starting. As for pics, go to imageshack.org and upload your pics there. Copy and paste the link to add your image here.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
LuvMyRedDog
Recipes 

You're the second guy to tell me I'm probably alright. Thanks. How do you post pictures? I need to figure that out.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Actually I didn't say you were probably all right. I said you ARE all right. There is no, zero, nil, nada, zilch, chance that something else other than yeast could have taken hold in 17 hours.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

One of the Belgian yeasts I have used (and I forget which one) starts blooming with something that looks like ears floating in it before fully krausening.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
LuvMyRedDog
Recipes 

Thanks for all the help. My first fermentor is already normalizing. I just got the picts posted:

ImageShack -

Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
ImperialLover
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default Same Thing Here

I had the same thing when I used wyeast irish ale. I don't think it's infected. My beer turned out fine.

Quick Reply