Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What happed to Guinness?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #21
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

The FES is good and also an outstanding example of a commercial beer with tons of diacetyl if you are interested in learning to recognize that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #22
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I came to a similar realization a few months ago. Guinness isn't terrible by any means but I was disappointed that it tasted kind of watered down. A little malty flavor but not much else in there.

Thinking about brewing a Java Stout in a week or so. I think I'll begin my recipe search...

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #23
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
The FES is good and also an outstanding example of a commercial beer with tons of diacetyl if you are interested in learning to recognize that.
So that's what diacetyl is? Interesting. A buddy of mine and I picked up a 4-pack and were trying to figure out what the taste was. Definitely not something we expected. Thanks. My ability to describe flavors in beer has gone up now

Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Well, if you're used to guiness extra stout in a bottle (not sure that's what u were drinking before or not), then guinness draught is definitely going to taste different. I noticed this when i first started drinking guiness (why does the bottle taste good and this pint taste like water?) If you go back to the extra stout in a bottle, you may get back some of your nostalgia, but on tap it's crap. I don't even know why they make guinness draught bottles, (here's the same crappy taste you get in a bar, now you can have it at home too!) And yes, it is really watery. I think your palette has surpassed guinness. It's more of what i like to call a "starter beer", it got you started on the road to better beer by giving you enough flavor to make you think it's really good, but not too harsh to turn you away. then from there, you probably just developed into better beers.

I'll usually order a guiness when i need to stay hydrated, maybe before backpacking through the desert. i'll bring a sixer with me, gotta get that H20 when it's hot; i'm pretty sure Bear Grylls does this ("i'd never 'ave made it off of that glassi-ure without my guiness for hydration")
Well, I'm talking about Guinness draught on tap only. I used to drink it all the time 5-6 years ago with friends when I lived in Texas and found it to be superb compared to the other options available where we used to go. OK, admittedly, the other options were BMCs or Mexican lagers, but still, I really had the impression of a far superior beer.

Life changed, new friends, new state, new bars, and I haven't had a Guinness draught ever since until I gave it a try yesterday. I guess my disappointment was a combination of a somewhat better palate acquired from home brewing and lower quality of the American Guinness on tap. The one I had in the bar yesterday was a very poor example of a good dry stout at best.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Its just typical American taste. We love to take things from other countrys and jazz them up to extreme levels. 120 IPA and pizza are perfect examples. Ever had pizza in Italy? Its definately no the same thing.

Theres nothing wrong with Guinness. It smooth and has a nice creamy. It is what it is. Just because you have become accustomed to something else does not make Guinness bad. I bet it tastes different poured in Ireland too.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #26
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Draught bottles are lower in ABV than most people think. IIRC they are in the 3.5% range. i went to a party a little while back with some college buddies. i brought a 12 of Guinness and they were drinking BMC. played drinking games with them all evening and didn't seem like i was drinking beer at all. very watery, and very different from what i remember my first tasting

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yeah, I remember when I was a BMC drinker and someone would be drinking a Guinness and we were all like "Wow... that heavy dark stuff isn't for me!" and now it tastes like tap water to me.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
Danbreeze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

[QUOTE=drkaeppel;2718466]I came to a similar realization a few months ago. Guinness isn't terrible by any means but I was disappointed that it tasted kind of watered down. A little malty flavor but not much else in there.
QUOTE]

This was my observation as well. I remember drinking Guiness in college thinking it was the heaviest beer ever. I had Guiness in a can last St. Patty's Day and ended up pounding it and ordering something else.

My how homebrew has changed my palate...

First State Brewers

Proud member of the Shat in my Pants Brew Club
(ok, I made that one up)

Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #29
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadNutsBrewing View Post
I agree. The draught bottles dont even have the little wicket in them anymore
I just bought a few cases of Guinness (cans, for 3/17), and they all have widgets. Extra Stout and the new Foreign Guinness don't have widgets, they are totally different beers and don't utilize the nitrous.

As for the taste, Guinness still works for me. I think its a great stout to have with meals. It has that nice creamy head, a nice flavor, and given that its a stout, it isn't as heavy as it looks.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Never Mind

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Quick Reply