Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What got you into homebrewing?
View Poll Results: What got you into homebrewing? (Select all that apply)
A friend of mine who brews. 108 26.21%
I tried Mr. Beer and it all progressed from threre. 35 8.50%
I watched the brewing episode of Good Eats. 35 8.50%
I researched it myself based on my own interest in brewing. 196 47.57%
Visited a brewery and got interested that way. 19 4.61%
Other (please post!) 89 21.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #101
Karlberg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I got into home brewing because my wife wanted to order pilsner malt for a special finnish dessert and to reach the minimum order value I had to order "How to Brew"...
So, it is all her fault!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #102
martinirish
Recipes 

I always have been interested in how things were made especially everything related to chemistry, then tasted some microbrewery beer and finally wanted to make beer. I was 17 and also started to study in chemical engineering technology, now I'm obsessed with process control! Some of you would freak out to see my Excel files! Am I the only one compiling statistics?? ahah

Primary:
Secondary: Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red Ale, Scotch whisky-like ale
Bottled/Ready to drink: Strong scotch ale, English-style barleywine, Baltic Porter, 'Tsar Bomba' RIS, Belgian Quad, Irish Red Ale, Saison, ESB, APA, Old Ale, 'Black Devil' Imp. Stout and more
Next: ?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #103
solstice
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I had a friend that made wine and he explained how easy it was to make your own.
I got into brewing beer because my parents got me a starter kit for christmas this past year.

Ale Pail: Autumn Amber Ale
Ale Pail: American Light Ale
Carb/Condition -ing: Kolsch 5-6
Drinking:
Up Next: Kolsch 7-?, Cascade Pale Ale
RIP: Red Ale 1-3, Scottish Light Ale, Grand Cru, Apfelwein 1, Kolsch 1-4, Cherry Wheat

Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #104
CarlosM
Recipes 

I got into the idea of brewing maybe in 2005-2007 where me and a friend were getting random beers each weekend (along with scotch) And to be honest I hated beer, but enjoyed getting wasted. My first beer with "flavor" was Guinness (I almost puked). But beer still intrigued me.

So one day while buzzed I asked my friend how hard could it be to make beer. We decided to do one, but he backed out and my gf bought me a mr. beer kit (xmas 07). I went through about 3 batches of em (enjoyed every last drop, and still got some of the bottles that came with it) quickly stepped up to partial mashes within the first month of brewing.

A few months passed 4-5 AG batches under my belt(13 batches total) and I couldn't be happier at 22 broke as hell with at least 5 gallons always fermenting and friends to drink it with (although they only like my malty batches).

what brewing does for me is therapeutic, the grinding of the malts, boiling strike water, the wonderful smelling mash and the orgasmic smell of hops. It interests me as no other hobby has, it instills me with a sense of pride kind of like "DAMN IT, I MADE THIS AND NO ONE CAN TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME"

RDWHAHB

Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #105
batches_brew
Recipes 

After making this label in class, a bunch of my friends said they would most definitely buy it if I brewed it. Then I found out it's illegal to sell home brew. Dammit.

In reality, the only beer I've ever enjoyed was micro-brew. That and Pacifico, but that was in Mazatlan with a six foot fish, smothered in tortillas and salsa in front of me. Now I'm hungry.

Home brewing had been a brief idea I would entertain for a moment, from time to time, but the label gave me the push I needed to really do it.
On Deck: Hefeweizen, ABA, Robust Porter

Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #106
Amiaji
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I guess my interest in homebrewing started when I was a kid. We went on vacation and was visiting someone who was a homebrewer. I thought it was really cool that you could brew your own beer. The thought had festered in the back of my mind for years until a few months ago I decided it was time to try it. Started reading up on it on the internet and found a LHBS not too far away. Bought a kit and a recipe and havent looked back.

Beer is for drinking,
Homebrew is for sharing.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #107
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure how we ended up talking about this, but one day a co-worker of mine mentioned he brewed his own beer. This got me a bit curious as I didn't know anything about homebrewing at the time other than that my dad had tried a little wine making way back when I was a little kid. In January of this year, my wife bought me a starter kit and it was all downhill from there.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #108
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Other.

Couldn't find a Bock in the Spring of '07.

I've always liked Beer and came from British Columbia (the Oregon of Canada) lots of MicroBrewers. So I just lived on store bought. Although at $10 a six pack it is kinda expensive.

Moved to Alberta and couldn't find a Bock in the Spring of '07 so I said "F'it I'll brew my own." Started researching on the Interweb and the rest is history.

I went to get a "Kit and Kilo" kit, at what is now my LHBS, and the guy said to use a "Brewhouse" kit.

I made about 6 "Brewhouse" kits and enjoyed them all before switching to AG for the last 20 or so. I did try and do a "Kit and Kilo" kit three times. First with a kilo of corn sugar and the second and third time with DME. You know the word undrinkable is thrown around a lot lately. But all three times these were UNDRINKABLE .

I've always thought if I had started with a Kit and Kilo method I probably would have quit and if I ever passed a site like this I would have thought you were all morons as clearly Homebrew tastes like ****e. A very close escape.

Also grew up 4 blocks from a brewery and loved the smell of Wort.

Rudeboy

Primary: MNF Lager
Bottled Aging: English Barleywine' 14;
Kegged Aging: Oktoberfest; English Summer Ale;
Kegged Ready: Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen; Kolsch
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #109
juse
Recipes 

My first exposure to homebrewing was my grandfather. He made his own wine & I remember watching the rubber glove on top of the fermenter puff up and move around. I had no idea what it was, but knew it was something pretty cool.

Later on, I was in the Navy stationed on Whidbey Island off the coast of Washington State, close to Seattle. This was during the 90s and was when grunge music and microbrewing was getting into full swing. I was always a beerhound & was in hog heaven being around so many brewpubs and such. One day I met a guy named Tilley who started working with me out in the line shack. He brewed his own beer and tied his own flies. He showed me his tiny brew setup, it fit into a military writing hutch. That was some of the best beer I've ever had. He also showed me how to tie a wooly bugger & I caught a 28" brown trout off of the first one I tied...

So, fast forward about a dozen years and I'm back in Dallas & getting tired of driving across town to get my dopplebocks and IIPAs. It was only a matter of time before I started brewing my own

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these, and Woo woo woo woo!"
~Curly

Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #110
biberbauer
Recipes 

Default Other...

After watching that Sam Adams "all our employees learn to brew beer" commercial with some friends in college, I thought to myself, "man, that be a great gig to work there. It almost sounds like they're forced to learn to make beer. I like it." After seeing the commercial several more times, I realized that I probably wouldn't ever work for Sam Adams, and that I might as well look into it on my own.

Funny thing was, I wasn't really a huge fan of beer at the time (and also just shy of 21), but I bought a copy of Palmer's book, and read some in it before bedtime for a week or so. I later got Stephen Snyder's "The Homebrewer's Bible," and was absolutely glued to it. I'm not a huge reader, but this book just had me hooked. I almost immediately brewed my first batch, and after tasting that first bottle, I've been obsessed. Not to mention, homebrew parties reeled in the ladies (esp. with EdWort's Apfelwein in the kegerator!). Few people have seen student loans disappear so quickly, and I'll drink to that.

Quick Reply