Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What got you into homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #21
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife and I got my father-in-law a basic starter kit from a shop in Philly about 5 years ago for his birthday. He never ended up using it, but I found the process intriguing enough that I felt I had to give it a shot. So later that year my wife got me the same set up. The rest is history. (I still have the original hydrometer from that sucker).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always wanted to try brewing my own beer. I saw a groupon for Midwest that had a starter kit and ingredients kit a little over a year ago. I bought it on a whim, and have since gone all grain after 5-6 extract batches and made some amazing beers since. Now enjoying a Stone Ruination clone AG (look up Yooper's recipe - its awesome)

Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
sburnt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

When I moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1995, I had a roommate who worked in an architecture firm where one of the partners was a homebrewer. So my roommate got into it, and got me into it, and we brewed a bunch of batches. We also got to spend some time with that architect partner, whose picture is on Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar because they bought his recipe. Yup, the famous Chris Studach. His homebrew version, by the way, was considerably better. But I digress...

So, years later, after quite a hiatus, I picked the hobby/passion/way-of-life back up again. Good times.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I was born and raised in Milwaukee when there were four large breweries going full-bore. In high school, the hops and yeast odors from Pabst and Miller would waft into our classrooms in spring and fall when the windows were open. So, I've always enjoyed beer. And I'm kind of a "hands-on" guy who likes to take on projects and see them through to completion. Standing back and enjoying the fruit of your labor is a great kick.

A few years back, I retired and it dawned on me that a wonderful hobby for a guy like me would be to make homebrew! Right around Christmas 2009, I ordered my first batch of equipment and ingredients, and it's been great fun ever since! And when I drink one of my homebrews, I truly enjoy the fruit of my labor.

My second oldest daughter is to be married in October 2013. She and her fiance have asked me to brew up some batches of beer to give to the reception guests as a "thank-you." I will be honored to do so...provided they find me enough pop-top beer bottles!

glenn514

Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
wheels4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It started about a year and a half ago. I was lucky enough to have a Brewery in my back yard on Long Island. Literally I used to walk or take my bike to Blue Point Brewery every Thursday,Friday and Saturday. I moved to NC and no longer had this option. Yeah there are lots of breweries here but I would have to drive. I had thought about doing it before but why? I had great beer in the back yard. After living here for 2 years and spending way too much on good beer it was time to start brewing. That all started on a fishing website from a post made by a homebrew member. The rest is history. I did 2 extract batches before going all grain. I currently have about 200lbs. of grain,30gallons of crappy homebrew on tap and a freezer full of hops. It has gone from hobby to obsession....I give most of my beer away. Its also a great way to spend time with the kids...their first science project will be how to make beer .

Beer.....the lubricant to social intercourse.

BackSide Brewing

Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
jaspass
Recipes 

I started around 1995. My uncle first introduced me to the idea as he brewed beer at home. I was simply fascinated with the idea that brewing beer at home was even possible. At the time beer simply seemed a purchase I would make at the store where big companies with gear I could never understand or afford made the magic happen. My first brews were from a kit I bought with white bucket, racking cane, etc... I remember waiting for that first batch to complete, it seemed like it was taking forever! Over the years the gear grew slowly, mostly because I started this while still in college so money was much tighter then. I got a larger boil pot for my stove, moved into glass carboys, then I got a lead on some kegs and built up some kegging gear (no keg fridge yet at that time, bucket/tub of ice), all the while space in my home always a factor so I only brewed extract.

Cut to 17 years later I have a house, and can afford gear I want, so this year it hit me that I needed to go all-grain! I completed a Kal clone electric brew setup in my garage and have been brewing very regularly this summer. Oh, and eventually I did get that keg fridge .

Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 67

This time 4 years ago I was enrolled in a guitar building class at the Indianapolis Art Center. I really needed a hobby. I play guitar, but I was really interested in learning how to build and repair them just for fun. Unfortunately the instructor had a family emergency and had to cancel the whole guitar building program. I was really bummed, so my wife said "you like beer, why don't you try home brewing." I had always wanted to try it, but my first and only experience up to that point with home brewing was a friends beer that was obviously infected. Once I bought my kit and completed my first brew day, I was hooked.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My dad has been homebrewing for 30+ years and I've occasionally helped with bottling, etc.--and always with the drinking. He's made a bunch of great brews over the years, which showed me how good a homebrew could be. I finally started my first batch last week with his equipment (extract partial boil)--a Blue Moon Belgian witbier clone. Primary fermentation started the other day, and I couldn't be more excited.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
wSelwyn
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Another one of these threads, huh?

I loved craft beer, had helped a few friends brew, and was intrigued. I was in my second to last semester in college, and decided that my documentary for film class would be on homebrewing in the Keweenaw. I got a lot of free beer out of the gig, as well as equipment & advice. I'll never regret it

-
“Terrorists, Sam. They’ve taken over my stomach. They’re demanding beer.” — Norm Peterson, Cheers

CBelli Likes This 
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #30
kaz4121
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My girlfriend suggested I give it a shot since she knew I always wanted to try. Now she regrets it since homebrewing has become such an addiction!

Quick Reply