Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > what gives the distinctive flavour to a spitfire or bishops finger bitter ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default what gives the distinctive flavour to a spitfire or bishops finger bitter ale?

I understand that there is specific IBU for all the beers....but what gives the kinda bitter (sometimes even unpleasant....compared to more aromatic india pale ales) flavour to some bitter ales?

Is it the hops? I mean it must be.....but for instance the IBU of an india pale ale and a bitter ale...sometimes can be similar, but the tastes are soooo damn different. I guess it is simply the hop-selection. If yes, then what hops do people normally use in bitters and use in india pale ales?

NOTE: it seems to be that the answer is that these beers are cask-aged/conditioned. That gives them that distinct, interesting flavour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I haven't had one of those beers, but a lot of the time is just a different water profile.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Really any sort of bittering hop can be used. Most recipes will use UK earthy, resiny hops. Keep in mind that sulfates play a big role in hop profiles.

You may need to modify your water and bring the sulfate levels up to 200-300ppm to bring out the desired hop profile

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I'd say it's the water quality and the type of bittering hops used. Sometimes you hear people refer to a certain hop having smooth or harsh bitterness. I'm not a huge fan of most English hops so I can't recommend one over another though.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2159 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I understand that there is specific IBU for all the beers....but what gives the kinda bitter (sometimes even unpleasant....compared to more aromatic india pale ales) flavour to some bitter ales?

Is it the hops? I mean it must be.....but for instance the IBU of an india pale ale and a bitter ale...sometimes can be similar, but the tastes are soooo damn different. I guess it is simply the hop-selection. If yes, then what hops do people normally use in bitters and use in india pale ales?
It could be old or mishandled beer. Those are both good beers fresh, but also hard to find fresh in the US.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Quick Reply