Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What ever happened to beer balls?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
kahunaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What ever happened to beer balls?

Anyone remember these things? We used to get them for small kegger parties. i havent' seen one around in years... but seems it would be a cool/ideal container for lagering or something along those lines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Growlers took over?

Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
curt656
Recipes 

Didn't Coors make those? I think they called them Party Balls or something. I was young when they came out and have killed many brain cells along the way, so I don't know if I am recollecting correctly.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Stinky
Recipes 

They're not practical for the manufacturer. I worked at a liquor store for a while, and beer balls started to come back earlier this year, so there was a lot of talk about them. All it is is a disposable 1/6 keg. If I remember correctly it was within $5 of the price of a 1/6 keg but you did not have to put down a deposit. Since the manufacturer had to make the beer ball plus tap for each one on top of the cost of the beer inside, it isn't logical to continue producing them. After they tried to bring them back, they briefly produced them WITHOUT taps in an attempt to continue selling them and still have reasonable profit on it. That idea failed miserable because you need a special tap for them, so you could only use it if you had a tap from an old beer ball. Beer balls are just one of those things that seem like a good idea, but in the grand scheme of things it just doesn't work out.

BTW, it was a Bud product, not Coors.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt656 View Post
Didn't Coors make those? I think they called them Party Balls or something. I was young when they came out and have killed many brain cells along the way, so I don't know if I am recollecting correctly.
You are correct. In the late eighties and early nineties, Coors released a similar product called a party ball.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In looking at them again, they seem like they would be ideal for homebrew...

Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
blackshirtproud
Recipes 

I was 19 when I got married and the groomsmen and I were kind of upset that we were not gonna be able to get tanked at my reception. O' Contraire Monfraire, My best man came through for us as he showed up with one of these beauties iced down in the back of a 92' Berretta. Hooray, the night was saved! My dad asked why we kept going out to the parking lot that night, I think he new but was cool with it. Hooray beer!

Mulva?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshirtproud View Post
I was 19 when I got married and the groomsmen and I were kind of upset that we were not gonna be able to get tanked at my reception. O' Contraire Monfraire, My best man came through for us as he showed up with one of these beauties iced down in the back of a 92' Berretta. Hooray, the night was saved! My dad asked why we kept going out to the parking lot that night, I think he new but was cool with it. Hooray beer!
If I ever found one and could get it to work... i would actually name the beer I put in in "92 Beretta" - hahah That is one of the best stories ever, and completely personifies a beerball.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
TimSTi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunaman View Post
If I ever found one and could get it to work... i would actually name the beer I put in in "92 Beretta" - hahah That is one of the best stories ever, and completely personifies a beerball.
You've heard some pretty boring stories in your life my man!

Primary1:Empty
Primary2: Cream of 3 Crops 2/2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Red Ale 11/23 - Imperial Winter Ale 1/5 - Orange/Cascade PA 2/16
Next Up: American Bock - Apfelwein

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

don't they sell those large (1gal?) aluminum kegs now? Heiniken even has one that is pre pressurized, so there is no pump and keeps longer than the gravity fed ones.

Quick Reply